NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Chubs were bigger - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Chubs were bigger

Captain Lou (The Musky Mugger) and myself fished near Bloomsbury this afternoon. We caught around twenty five rainbows. All between 7-11 inches. He used a spinner. I hammered them on large butterworms cast after cast. I used an ultra light four foot rod with a gold Penn reel spooled with 4 lb. Trilene XT. Size ten hook with a very small splitshot.
I kept laughing every time I looked at the size of the trout at the end of my line. Ridiculous to keep returning fish knowing probably half will die from stress. Where's the fun? Not one trout big enough to make a meal.
Maybe someone can explain why these tiny fish weren't kept at the hatchery to grow through spring. Such a waste of time, money and effort on F&G part. Can't figure out the sense in this type of stocking.
I admire our F&G Department for the job they do. But this one is a puzzler.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs down Re: Chubs were bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
Where's the fun? Not one trout big enough to make a meal.
Maybe someone can explain why these tiny fish weren't kept at the hatchery to grow through spring. Such a waste of time, money and effort on F&G part. Can't figure out the sense in this type of stocking.
NJDFW doesn't owe you dinner because you bought a trout stamp and some butter worms.
You know you can always leave them to grow for next year if they aren't big enough for you... Especially if you think you are killing half with your c&r technique.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Chubs were bigger

This fall's stocking was 100% small trout between 7'" and 9". They can't hold those over due to a lack of raceway space. This time next fall, we will see the 2 year (16" +) old fish again stocked in October, but they will be all rainbows.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
This fall's stocking was 100% small trout between 7'" and 9". They can't hold those over due to a lack of raceway space. This time next fall, we will see the 2 year (16" +) old fish again stocked in October, but they will be all rainbows.
Just wondering - how is there a lack of space when all those fish were killed and there were no fish bigger than 9" stocked this fall?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by baetis View Post
Just wondering - how is there a lack of space when all those fish were killed and there were no fish bigger than 9" stocked this fall?
The space vacated by the 2014 fall stocked trout will soon be filled with trout for the 2016 season.

And, the remaining space is filled with trout for the 2015 season.

No down time / space, there. It's a trout raising factory, running 24 / 7.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

is there any ecological benefit or scientific reason to stock trout in NJ in places where they all die in the summer OTHER than as a straight cash grab for trout stamp $$? im honestly asking and not trying to be a d1ck.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
is there any ecological benefit or scientific reason to stock trout in NJ in places where they all die in the summer OTHER than as a straight cash grab for trout stamp $$? im honestly asking and not trying to be a d1ck.
No, there is no ecological benefit to stocking trout in ponds, it's done solely for the purpose of providing put-and-take fishing opportunities for anglers - and I'm glad they do it.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

In some places it is nice feed for largemouth, pickerel and channel cats.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
NJDFW doesn't owe you dinner because you bought a trout stamp and some butter worms.
You know you can always leave them to grow for next year if they aren't big enough for you... Especially if you think you are killing half with your c&r technique.
I never said anyone owes me anything. I trout fish all year, including all through the winter. I make about 150 trips a year all over central and northern N.J. Some weeks I fish six days a week. Mostly three to four times a week is average. I put most of my fish back because I don't like the way trout taste. I keep a boat in AH and rather eat saltwater fish.
But seeing a six (6) or (7) seven inch fish on the end of my line is ridiculous and senseless. I keep hoping every cast I'll get a holdover trout just once. Maybe I'm getting frustrated by setting my goals too high.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
If u fish trout regularly thru most of the year pobably over 80 trips, & key in on big trout ,the current situation in NJ waters is troubling.
I generally release every trout I catch unless its hooked badly then I keep the fish & only then. By the way ur lucky if those fish even if left alone may grow 1/2" thru winter.
Im gonna be out there every day I can because I love stream troutin' & praticing C&R .
Ive always realized the NJDFW doesnt owe me any dinner because I dont eat trout,I fish salt enough to have plenty of fish to eat. However in case u havent noticed most license buyers do ! Thats their right they R not breaking any laws by keeping trout,within legal limits!
What I feel happened to NJ trout fishery is tough for all. Especially someone like me who targets big fish.
I dont fully understand why all broodstock goes to lakes this fall , its never been explained fully to my satisfaction.
If those fish R believed to be contamiated then I can accept that action , if not why?
Anyone really have the answer??