NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Landing and hook set for pike - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Landing and hook set for pike

I am relatively new to pike fishing and was wondering what is the best way to set the hook. I have read a lot about letting them take the bait and then wait when using live bait but I plan on using lures, specifically a ratl trap, gold minnow spoon and terminator spinner bait. Is the general rule to wait for the fish after the initial attack true for using these lures also?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Landing and hook set for pike

With bait, I only wait long enough to be sure I have one on and not a snag. The longer you wait more chance of it being deep in the throat or in the gills. With lures, the strike is usually pretty violent and scares you into settin the hook, lol..........

For landing, I try to have everything out I will need ahead of time. Saves time during the landing. Once I get them in, secure the head in the water and remove the hook. Make sure they aren't still fighting strong. Once they tire they'll just sit there and let you unhook them. Once the hook is out, lift em up, snapp a couple shots and back they go. Piece of cake, most of the time.........
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Landing and hook set for pike

For Pike and Musky fishing it is pretty simple...

If you are live lining with a float/bobber and you see the float go under you should immediately set the hook as the pike/musky has already ambushed/inhaled the bait.. they do not partially pick up the bait and run.. they inhale it.... float goes under then set hook immediately...

If you are live lining off the bottom (and are specifically going for pike/musky) and you see the line start to move then set the hook... do not wait as the pike/musky will have already started to swallow and you dont want that to happen..

Fishing any kind of moving artificial for pike/musky they will more or less hook themselves... I have never ever had to set a hook when retrieving spinner, spoons, top water, etc.... they will attack and all you will feel is your line come to a complete stop and most of the time you will think you are snagged for a quick second.. Basically you will be retreiving and then the line will just suddenly stop dead and then you will start to feel the pull and wieght of the fish... Pike/Musky more or less feel like dead wieght pulling on the end of your line... they will not run like a smallmouth because they pretty much bog down and pull until you start to reel and manuever them in..

Good luck