NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Targeting Sharks at Island Beach State Park - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 06-25-2024, 06:47 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Targeting Sharks at Island Beach State Park

Heading to Island Beach State Park or the Jersey shore soon to target some sharks. The plan is the fish dawn and dusk and try to catch some bait fish in between.

This is my first time trying this I’m a fresh water guy. Need all the help I can get. My plan is to get a decent medium Penn rod or something medium/ decent size from dicks or Walmart. 50-80lb braid, a heavy mono, some steel leader, decent size circle hooks, and some 3-5 oz eights and set up some basic Carolina rigs with cut bait.

This is all information I’ve gained off my own internet research. I’ve done some charters in the past but everything is handed to you there. Any tips and tricks and advice anyone is willing to give is so greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone in advanced.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Targeting Sharks at Island Beach State Park

I caught, tagged and released a blacktip on an Ava A-17 in Manasquan Inlet. Back in the olden days before Jaws, after my brother John beached a 6’ brown shark 🦈 in Manasquan at night, the police 👮*♀️ arrived, then shot it. Your leader should be longer than the shark. They break your line with their tail. Post pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	173680  
Old 06-26-2024, 10:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Right now the water temps are in the 50's which is too cold for sharks. It would be better to wait until they are in the 70's.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:50 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Sounds like you have a good gameplan however I have to disagree with Angler Paul regarding the water temperature. The water temperature is >60degrees which is a great temperature for shark fishing. I was out a few weeks ago with my friend and our two boys and had great shark fishing. We were drifting a few miles out however the water temp is very similar on the beach depending on the wind current.

I would keep the rig simple and eliminate the steel leader. I would suggest braid to swivel to heavy leader with a crimped or snell to inline circle hook. I personally use 150-200lb mono and can't remember getting bit off. With the amount of makos i have brought to the boat using 40lb leader tuna chunking, circle hooks do have some advantages.

Best of Luck
Old 06-26-2024, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Targeting Sharks at Island Beach State Park

Species listed as prohibited have all been identified by NOAA as being particularly vulnerable due to a combination of factors that include low reproduction rates (sand tiger sharks); vulnerability to certain fishing practices (angel sharks); stocks previously assessed as overfished and/or overfishing is occurring (sandbar and dusky sharks); or species for which there is a lack of data to make informed regulations, such as basking sharks.
“If a prohibited shark species is caught, it must be released immediately without removing it from the water and in a manner that maximizes its chances of survival,” said Division of Fish and Wildlife Director Dave Golden. “That means keeping it in the water when removing a hook, not taking photos of a shark out of the water and certainly not taking it home.”
Shark fishing from shore should never drag onto dry sand a shark they plan to release. Dry sand can be extremely abrasive on a shark’s skin and can cause damage if it enters a shark’s gills. To safely release the shark, maneuver it into shallow water where it can be safely handled while keeping the gills wet (approximately 2 inches to 4 inches of water, depending on the size of the shark), with its head facing the open water to maintain a regular flow of water over its gills.
If surf conditions make handling the shark while it is still in the water difficult or unsafe, anglers are encouraged to cut the line as close to the hook as safely feasible.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There are some really informative videos on Youtube. Check them out. I caught a nice dusky shark (I think) at IBSP two years ago, mid day. It was a fun fight even though it was only about 4 ft
Old 06-26-2024, 04:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler Paul View Post
Right now the water temps are in the 50's which is too cold for sharks. It would be better to wait until they are in the 70's.
Temps have been running from 65-72 for the past week .
If it wasn’t for the constant S winds it would already be staying above 70

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 06-26-2024, 05:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Another suggestion-watch some videos on how to handle sting rays as there is a good chance youll catch one
Old 06-27-2024, 06:09 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Another suggestion-watch some videos on how to handle sting rays as there is a good chance youll catch one

Will do. Not sure if you remember but a few years ago on this exact forum you told me IBSP July - Sept for sharks.

Years later I’m finally acting on your suggestion LOL!
Old 06-27-2024, 06:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gear up at a local tackle shop instead of Dicks/Walmart
-free advice with your purchase
-the right gear for our area and what you're targeting
-support local businesses

Decent fishing gear all has "minimum advertised price" policies, so for the identical gear you pay pretty much the same price at a local tackle shop as Dick's/Walmart. The box stores do also have lots of cheaper crap, but it is just that: lower quality gear they had made to sell cheaper than the real stuff.