NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

My 254th fish tag return - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 06-22-2024, 11:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default My 254th fish tag return

The third bluefish that I caught, tagged and released this year in Manasquan Inlet at 28” and 8 lbs on May 6, was recaptured in the East River of NY, 6/15/2024 at 33”. NJ bluefish grow very fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6309.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	173618  
Old 06-23-2024, 03:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: My 254th fish tag return

There is no way a 28" bluefish grew 5 inches in a month and a half unless it was eating radioactive bunker.
Old 06-23-2024, 04:41 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

LOL,,well, it IS the East River, so radioactive bunker is not out of the question. Otherwise, the guy has been tagging fish for years, and has had 254 returns, many of them documented on these pages. I don't know what fabricating a bogus tag return report on these pages would do for him.

I just read a reproductive study on Bluefish that said young ones can grow an inch a week, so I dunno, it might indicate that there are some adult Bluefish that can grow 5 inches in 5 or 6 weeks given the right feed and conditions.

I have always found his reports of tag returns quite interesting, and don't believe there is any reason to doubt his return report.... bob
Old 06-23-2024, 09:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Bob I'm not doubting Bands report at all, I think it's possible the person who recaptured the fish either exaggerated it's size, estimated the fishes length or used the attached ruler. Radioactive East River bunker can't be ruled out though! Young snappers do grow very quickly, at times an inch a week in the early stages of their life cycle as do peanut bunker and most juvenile fish to survive. Mature 28" fish with that growth rate, guess anything is possible but that would be a freak of nature. Maybe two bluefins grabbed it from each side and stretched it! I'm not accusing Bands of anything, love his reports and the fact he takes time to tag so many fish. Lot of useful information from his efforts and he should be commended. If someone lands a 57" bluefish in Maine later this year, I'll remove my post.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1676448...ancement-prank

Last edited by Broad Bill; 06-23-2024 at 11:11 AM..
Old 06-23-2024, 11:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Fish taggers use fork length while fishermen use tip of the tail length.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ219bands View Post
Fish taggers use fork length while fishermen use tip of the tail length.
That makes sense.....Probably exactly what happened...I might have done that myself to be honest. btw, why would any self respecting Bluefish want to go from the Manasquan to East River of all places?. Maybe its not as bad as it used to be...
Old 06-24-2024, 07:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

find NJ219bands posts to be very interesting, with good photos also. I look for his input, and get a kick out of the times that someone is fishing in his spot. He just moves down the rocks a bit and catches there.....lol
You go NJ219bands !! Papa