NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Prospertown Dinofish - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-09-2022, 10:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Prospertown Dinofish

Grandson Chris and I went to Prospertown for our Sunfish fix this evening. Grandson was on fire in the creek below the dam and on the main lake catching 30 plus small Sunfish,a White Bass, and a couple Crappie. I had a dozen Sunfish, a small Bass, another monster Roach, and 4 dink Crappie. It was almost dark when I heard Chris yelling for me to come down to the creek. I ran down the hill to see Chris staring at fish on the bank by the pipe. He said I got this weird looking Catfish. Well it wasn't a Catfish. He caught a large Snakehead from out of the pipe! We had a hard time stringing it . It was like handling a Conger Eel. The Lightningbugs were out as we walked to the truck with Frogs and Crickets singing away.
We cooked it up when we got home. Wish we had more! Pretty tasty for an invasive species. Snakeheads Snakeheads yummy yummy Snakeheads. Snakeheads Snakeheads eat um up yum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-2.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	158094   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	158095  

Last edited by Ol Pedro; 06-09-2022 at 10:55 PM..
Old 06-10-2022, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Prospertown Dinofish

Nice report ! Didn't know there were snakeheads there .
Old 06-10-2022, 09:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Nice report ! Didn't know there were snakeheads there .
It was in the creek below the dam. Don't think it could make it into the lake as the water to the creek comes down the skimmer into the pipe like a waterfall.We see lots of other fish below in the creek that are not in the lake.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Prospertown Dinofish

Thank you for killing it.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Thank you for killing it.
Yeah agreed,,, They are here to stay.. Guys need to catch them and eat them. Best way to keep a species in check is to target them as food.. Never ate a snakehead, not many up here[yet], but I understand they are very good eating.. Yeah they are ugly, but so is a Bullhead and guys love those things.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

cool catch! interesting seeing one there, it shows how far up they will trek just to spread out. Fish & Wildlife may want to be notified?
Old 06-16-2022, 08:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Prospertown Dinofish

Very cool catch Wow at far this specimen traveled to get there. Migratory species for sure. They are delicious for sure. They will survive and move on no matter who you notify. They’re here to stay and add another species to our already awesome list of fish to catch in a small state. The way things are going we might depend on this guy for food one day. We can’t overthrow something that was meant to be. Mother Nature is in control.
Snakehead
Lives
Matter
Old 06-17-2022, 11:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Impressive ability to travel that far. Nice catch, by the way. Glad to hear it made for good table fare...mangia bene!

IrishAngler
Old 06-23-2022, 12:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

GREAT catch guys, thats a nice size. I have news for all, the snakehead is basically now a game fish, no reason to kill them anymore unless your eating it, they are here to stay. I just watched a special on these fish. When they were brought here and dumped in our waters, EVERYONE freaked out, how they can live on land, and how they were gonna eat everything in our lakes etc.. Their findings on the snakeheads are nowhere near what everyone was saying. They ended up being a DELICIOUS tasting fish. THEY ARE HERE TO STAY, and according to the studies, they are not affecting our eco systems in lakes in rivers. I personally do not eat these fish, nor do I target them, but do catch them time to time fishing for bass. Me and my wife do not treat these fish any different from bass, we get the hook out and safely release it back into the water. I will tell you this, yea, they have nasty teeth (as do pickerel, Pike, musky etc.) but take a good look at one, they are absolutely a BEAUTIFUL fish, the colors are amazing. To each their own, but me and my wife love to respect the fish we catch no matter what they are. Tight lines.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
GREAT catch guys, thats a nice size. I have news for all, the snakehead is basically now a game fish, no reason to kill them anymore unless your eating it, they are here to stay. I just watched a special on these fish. When they were brought here and dumped in our waters, EVERYONE freaked out, how they can live on land, and how they were gonna eat everything in our lakes etc.. Their findings on the snakeheads are nowhere near what everyone was saying. They ended up being a DELICIOUS tasting fish. THEY ARE HERE TO STAY, and according to the studies, they are not affecting our eco systems in lakes in rivers. I personally do not eat these fish, nor do I target them, but do catch them time to time fishing for bass. Me and my wife do not treat these fish any different from bass, we get the hook out and safely release it back into the water. I will tell you this, yea, they have nasty teeth (as do pickerel, Pike, musky etc.) but take a good look at one, they are absolutely a BEAUTIFUL fish, the colors are amazing. To each their own, but me and my wife love to respect the fish we catch no matter what they are. Tight lines.
Rich, I don't respect fish any less than you as we don't kill what we don't eat.(unless it's trying to kill us) I will gladly eat every Snakehead that we catch. To each his own, Tight Lines .