NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake Marion SC - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-15-2020, 04:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Lake Marion SC

Heading to Lake Marion in April. Gonna rent a pontoon boat for the week. Staying at club Wyndham. Would love to get into some blue cats or anything fun for the kids. Anyone have any knowledge on how to fish that lake? Or even any cool things to do in that area by boat?
Old 12-16-2020, 12:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Lake Marion SC

i have not been there, but you are not far from the summerville area. if you are looking to do something fun with the kids, check out a guide service for fossil hunting. there are tons of shark teeth to be found, and if you are lucky, they can be quite large. i can give you a few names if you are interested, pm me.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I think there are landlocked Striped Bass in the lake.

"Stripers prefer the cold water and spend the warmer months in the deep waters of lake Moultrie. As the temperature cools and the bait schools up, the stripers move up the canal to Lake Marion."

Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-18-2020, 11:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_fish View Post
I think there are landlocked Striped Bass in the lake.

"Stripers prefer the cold water and spend the warmer months in the deep waters of lake Moultrie. As the temperature cools and the bait schools up, the stripers move up the canal to Lake Marion."

Good luck and have fun!
I caught striped bass in the lake near the canal on plugs in the early spring many years ago.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Santee Cooper Country is God's country. Both Marion and Moultrie are gigantic, you're going to want to drift for blue cats with a Santee Rig. First things first go online and order the Hot Spots Map for Lake Marion for $11, make sure you have the $10 or $15 Navionics App on your phone, whatever it costs these days and make sure you're not fishing blind. If you want to PM me I'll give you my # and I'll happily give you a few tips that should help you catch some blue cats.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I just looked at where the Wyndham is and the Navionics app. I'm a blue cat junkie so I'm intrigued now. Ha ha. In April that creek where the Wyndham is should be warmer than the main lake and I bet you'll catch blues right of the shore. Even the giants come into 5-feet of water to eat the shad so don't ever think twice about how shallow you fish. Other than that the main lake channel passes right in front of the creek mouth and there's plenty of structure close by. If you know how to read a map you'll know exactly where to fish, if you don't I'll help you out. Blue cats are the bomb.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey catfish you still on here?
Old 04-10-2021, 01:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Had a great time! Stayed at Wyndham resorts! Beautiful place great staff. Place came with a boat slip and was right on the water. So I rented a pontoon boat for the week. Tough to fish with all the kids but I got them out. Finally got a chance for just me and my boy to get out. Anchored out and threw in the poles. 15-20 minutes later poles bends right next to my son. About 10 minutes later he landed the only fish caught the hole trip. 22 pound 39 inch Blue Cat. Beautiful! We flew in so I was able to have it fileted locally and treated everyone at the pool area to some fresh Blue Cat! My son loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73CC5315-1ADA-408C-BF85-24DDE95CF353.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	147563   Click image for larger version

Name:	48665359-027B-4779-837B-D56C7E3184A7.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	147564  
Old 04-10-2021, 02:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt