NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Saltwater fishing license ???? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 08-28-2024, 09:19 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Saltwater fishing license ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
It’s just an absolute effing joke plain and simple. Guys will post here they don’t want to pay for a license or the argument they don’t want big brother govt getting more involved and enforcement etc.

I’d pay whatever it costs for a license if ya told me more CO’s are out there doing there thing.

If you disagree you’re a fool and just haven’t seen what goes on.

Frustrating shit. Rant over
Don't hold back and tell us how you really feel Duff

As far as I'm concerned, I have a few issues with a paid license...
- I think it could restrict access to fishing... You head down the beach or bay with your family and decide to bring a fishing pole or crab trap but you have to purchase a license?
- Our state already taxes us to death and with the money we already collect from sales tax, state income tax, tolls there's plenty of money if the state wanted to make fishing and enforcement a priority. A paid license is a money grab. It's not like the $30 or whatever it would effect me or others financially, it's the principal of it.
- Other states do benefit from the license dollars. Florida as an example has all sorts of public access areas and launch ramps, free beaches and free parking practically everywhere.... That's not the case in NJ, you'd not only have to pay for a license, you also have to pay to go on the beach. Most of the beaches and bays area lands have restricted access because it's either private property or there is no parking. Not sure a license fee is going to change that.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-28-2024, 02:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Saltwater fishing license ????

Like Wilson said, guys would beef about a FW license for 22 bux but that was probably their cheapest purchase all year. Look at the cost of some of these SW licenses in others state, as low as 10 bux !!!

Funny you should mention bringing the family down on vacation because if I remember correctly it was a gentleman and his son vacationing from Pennsylvania that gut BUSTED at the Manasquan sea wall for not having the Saltwater Registry on hand, media made a big deal of this.

I'd much rather PAY for something. If I PAY for something and get NOTHING in return, well than that's a rip off. The ONLY thing the SW Registry had gotten us so far is shorter seasons and lower bag limits.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Like Wilson said, guys would beef about a FW license for 22 bux but that was probably their cheapest purchase all year. Look at the cost of some of these SW licenses in others state, as low as 10 bux !!!

Funny you should mention bringing the family down on vacation because if I remember correctly it was a gentleman and his son vacationing from Pennsylvania that gut BUSTED at the Manasquan sea wall for not having the Saltwater Registry on hand, media made a big deal of this.

I'd much rather PAY for something. If I PAY for something and get NOTHING in return, well than that's a rip off. The ONLY thing the SW Registry had gotten us so far is shorter seasons and lower bag limits.

With all due respect going to need some facts that state the SW Registry is responsible for shorter seasons and lower bag limits vs the SWL?

IF there were a SWL in NJ under current guidelines and you PAID for it you would get something. Oh yeah shorter seasons and lower bag limits but now you paid for that!

Again we are talking about ONLY NJ / NY the only 2 SWR states you pointed out and how that played into shorter seasons and lower bag?
Old 08-28-2024, 08:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Saltwater fishing license ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
[/B]

With all due respect going to need some facts that state the SW Registry is responsible for shorter seasons and lower bag limits vs the SWL?

IF there were a SWL in NJ under current guidelines and you PAID for it you would get something. Oh yeah shorter seasons and lower bag limits but now you paid for that!

Again we are talking about ONLY NJ / NY the only 2 SWR states you pointed out and how that played into shorter seasons and lower bag?
The registry is an important tool that will help fishermen and policy makers work together to better account for the contributions and impacts of saltwater anglers on ocean ecosystems and coastal economies. It is part of a national overhaul of the way NOAA collects and reports recreational fishing data. The goal of the initiative – known as the Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP – is to provide the most accurate information possible that can be used to determine the health of fish stocks. Reliable, universally trusted data will in turn aid anglers, fisheries managers and other stakeholders in their combined efforts to effectively and fairly set the rules that will ensure the longterm sustainability of recreational fishing
Old 08-29-2024, 09:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
The registry is an important tool that will help fishermen and policy makers work together to better account for the contributions and impacts of saltwater anglers on ocean ecosystems and coastal economies. It is part of a national overhaul of the way NOAA collects and reports recreational fishing data. The goal of the initiative – known as the Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP – is to provide the most accurate information possible that can be used to determine the health of fish stocks. Reliable, universally trusted data will in turn aid anglers, fisheries managers and other stakeholders in their combined efforts to effectively and fairly set the rules that will ensure the longterm sustainability of recreational fishing
Ok I think we all know MRIP doesn't work and I have posted the same in this thread. The question was how do think the Registry is more at fault than a SWL. The Registry as you quoted above is "an important tool" but NOT the only tool in MRIP.

Correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be implying that states with a SWL vs the Registry should have longer seasons and better bag limits but we know thats not the case.

Again the question was the SWR vs the SWL and how you feel the Registry is the culprit OR would you agree that both are used wrongly in MRIP and further agree that here in NJ a SWL is not the best option given that NJ will not commit to using the funds properly.

Not to beat a dead horse but since we are MANDATED to have either a SWR or a SWL isnt the FREE Registry the better option at this time?? States can also do the National SWR for $15.00 per angler but those funds go to the US Treasury and we know where that ends up!

Summary:
MRIP is a failure for fisheries management.
FREE SWR is currently a better option for NJ than the SWL unless NJ legislates to use the funds properly.
Andy has to sign up for the FREE SWR
Old 08-30-2024, 08:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Saltwater fishing license ????

I will NEVER sign up !!
Old 08-30-2024, 06:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I will NEVER sign up !!
Fair enough Andy and wish you good health and fishing, you do a lot for our sport! Hopefully there will be no tires in the ocean as you may need a SWR to get them out.
Old 08-30-2024, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

To ALL others on the fence: There are many dedicated SW anglers / advocates that volunteered and put their own time at the state and federal level into getting the FREE SWR for NJ and that should be respected regardless of your opinions on the Mandated SWR. IMHO the only option for NJ at the time and now.
https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20354

If you are not part of the process you cant complain about the results
Old 08-30-2024, 08:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Saltwater fishing license ????

You need to purchase a license to go freshwater fishing in NJ
You need to purchase a license to go clamming in NJ
You need to purchase a license to put a crab trap out in the bay overnight in NJ

But saltwater FISHING........ nah, that's all FREE. How screwed up is this ???

Last edited by AndyS; 08-31-2024 at 06:53 AM..
Old 08-31-2024, 10:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I will NEVER sign up !!

Easy to say from a guy who doesn’t saltwater Fish

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995