NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Saltwater fishing license ???? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 08-26-2024, 09:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Saltwater fishing license ????

Saltwater fishing license is needed in:
Hawaii-not yet
Alaska-yes
Washington-yes
Oregon-yes
California-yes
Texas-yes
Louisiana-yes
Mississippi-yes
Alabama-yes
Florida-yes
Georgia-yes
South Carolina-yes
North Carolina-yes
Virginia-yes
Delaware-yes
Maryland-yes
New Jersey-sw registry
New York-sw registry
Connecticut-yes
Massachusetts-yes
Rhode Island-yes
New Hampshire-yes
Maine- it's complicated (typical Maine)
The registry is an important tool that will help fishermen and policy makers work together to better account for the contributions and impacts of saltwater anglers on ocean ecosystems and coastal economies. It is part of a national overhaul of the way NOAA collects and reports recreational fishing data. The goal of the initiative – known as the Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP – is to provide the most accurate information possible that can be used to determine the health of fish stocks. Reliable, universally trusted data will in turn aid anglers, fisheries managers and other stakeholders in their combined efforts to effectively and fairly set the rules that will ensure the long term sustainability of recreational fishing.
But only 2 states use the registry, I'm confused ???
Old 08-26-2024, 04:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Saltwater fishing license ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Saltwater fishing license is needed in:
Hawaii-not yet
Alaska-yes
Washington-yes
Oregon-yes
California-yes
Texas-yes
Louisiana-yes
Mississippi-yes
Alabama-yes
Florida-yes
Georgia-yes
South Carolina-yes
North Carolina-yes
Virginia-yes
Delaware-yes
Maryland-yes
New Jersey-sw registry
New York-sw registry
Connecticut-yes
Massachusetts-yes
Rhode Island-yes
New Hampshire-yes
Maine- it's complicated (typical Maine)
The registry is an important tool that will help fishermen and policy makers work together to better account for the contributions and impacts of saltwater anglers on ocean ecosystems and coastal economies. It is part of a national overhaul of the way NOAA collects and reports recreational fishing data. The goal of the initiative – known as the Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP – is to provide the most accurate information possible that can be used to determine the health of fish stocks. Reliable, universally trusted data will in turn aid anglers, fisheries managers and other stakeholders in their combined efforts to effectively and fairly set the rules that will ensure the long term sustainability of recreational fishing.
But only 2 states use the registry, I'm confused ???
Andy:
NSAR was MANDATED by MSA in 2007 for ALL states to comply in one form or another:
The National Saltwater Angler Registry (NSAR) is a database of recreational saltwater anglers that helps NOAA gather data on recreational fisheries. A saltwater fishing license is usually required to fish in most public bodies of water and helps fund conservation efforts.

NJ opted to comply via the FREE NSAR so as not to incur any additional costs to NJ Salt water anglers as the Salt water license debate remains ongoing in NJ. AS you stated a lot of states already have the SWL. Here in NJ the debate is wether the SWL fees would actually go to fund conservation efforts (as FW licenses do) or just go into a "general fund" . To date NJ can not or has not answered that question so we opt for the MANDATED free NSWR until this debate can be resolved.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Saltwater fishing license ????

When 19 states have a saltwater fishing license and 2 don't something doesn't seem right, it's fishy if you ask me.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
To date NJ can not or has not answered that question so we opt for the MANDATED free NSWR until this debate can be resolved.
The Saltwater Registry was first implemented in May 2011.

So what your saying is this debate on a SW License has been going on for 13 years and still isn't resolved?

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 08-27-2024, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
The Saltwater Registry was first implemented in May 2011.

So what your saying is this debate on a SW License has been going on for 13 years and still isn't resolved?
Yup! Again on where the funds would actually go. Havent seen a bill in NJ legislation to dedicate SWL fees back to SW Fishing conservation just to a "general budget" . I may be wrong so if anyone knows any different let me know.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:02 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

If I remember correctly I believe there was someone in the Christie administration that floated a trial ballon for a paid NJ Saltwater fishing license. I think it was an election year and it met a lot of public opposition so much so that every politician ran from it and it died from lack of political support. Shortly afterwards the RFA fought for and got the support need for the free registry we have now.

Further NY had a paid license for a short period of time and it was repealed and replaced by the free registry.

Lastly you’ll see here that the RFA was very involved in getting the free registry we have in place today. Read more here https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20354

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 08-27-2024 at 01:22 PM..
Old 08-27-2024, 04:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
If I remember correctly I believe there was someone in the Christie administration that floated a trial ballon for a paid NJ Saltwater fishing license. I think it was an election year and it met a lot of public opposition so much so that every politician ran from it and it died from lack of political support. Shortly afterwards the RFA fought for and got the support need for the free registry we have now.

Further NY had a paid license for a short period of time and it was repealed and replaced by the free registry.

Lastly you’ll see here that the RFA was very involved in getting the free registry we have in place today. Read more here https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20354

The reason we don’t have a saltwater license was the Captain of marine fisheries was told there would be no funds allotted to more CO’S for enforcement.
So he made sure the push for a SW license stopped .
If he had been able to GUARANTEE additional manpower from those license fees , we would have a SW license .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 08-27-2024, 04:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Saltwater fishing license ????

Again, still seems funny 19 states were able to pull it off except for NJ and NY.
I would gladly pay for a saltwater license if it meant more law enforcement, and with that not only public but commercial also.
I did briefly visit a boat ramp near Crystal River Florida and in the parking lot were no less than 3 F&G trucks and what looked like 7 Conservation officer trucks.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Again, still seems funny 19 states were able to pull it off except for NJ and NY.
I would gladly pay for a saltwater license if it meant more law enforcement, and with that not only public but commercial also.
I did briefly visit a boat ramp near Crystal River Florida and in the parking lot were no less than 3 F&G trucks and what looked like 7 Conservation officer trucks.
Andy
Its nothing "funny" fishy, weird or playing the game. The other 19 states to my knowledge allocated the $$ where it needs to and NJ / NY would NOT. Pretty simple. I also as would many others pay for a SWL if it went to more law enforcement and conservation but plain and simple its not the case yet.

In the meanwhile we comply by using the FREE registry which I have zero issue with except NOAA doesn't send the surveys to as many as they should and rec anglers don't fill out what they should so MRIP is just another failure so for now glad its FREE
Old 08-27-2024, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It’s just an absolute effing joke plain and simple. Guys will post here they don’t want to pay for a license or the argument they don’t want big brother govt getting more involved and enforcement etc.

I’d pay whatever it costs for a license if ya told me more CO’s are out there doing there thing.

If you disagree you’re a fool and just haven’t seen what goes on.

Frustrating shit. Rant over

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995