NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Handling Stripers to Release - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 05-30-2024, 09:35 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Handling Stripers to Release

Had a friend who saw my report and made a good suggestion about putting something up about how to properly handle Stripers so they can be safely released. Perfect timing since we have the new regs with a very narrow slot and the water has warmed up and these fish don't revive as well as they do in colder spring months.

First off use single not treble hooks on lures whenever possible since they are much easier get out of the fish.. You can do this easily by taking the treble off the split ring threading a single hook back on it.

Use metal hooks since they will eventually dissolve in the fish if you happen to gut hook one... Just cut your line and leave it in the fish.

Most importantly, once landed you want to get this fish back in ASAP. Get it in, snap of few pictures and send it back... You'll know as soon as you put the fish back in the water if its ready to be released because one swish of those big broom stick tails and it will be on it's way..

In the event that the fish does not swim away and lays on it's side, you'll need to revive it.. A few ways to do this. Get it back in the net, put your boat in gear with the net over the side and fish pointed into the current let the water run into the fishes mouth and past it gills...If that doesn't work, the next step is wash down pump therapy.. Turn on your wash down pump and while in the net stick the hose down the fishes mouth.

This particular method worked for us a while back... I caught a 40 and since it was my personal best and this was back in the day when I wasn't so conservation minded, I thought I might keep it. After some coaxing from my buddy Bill, I decided to release her but she was out of the water for too long and was not doing well... Got her in the net and over the side but she still was not coming around. A quick phone call to Frank and he suggested sticking the wash down hose down her. After 5 mins of wash down pump therapy she came right back and swam away..

Thanks for the suggestion Lenny. Those of us who fished back in the 80s when these fish were practically absent, suffered through the rebuilding and understand we have a finite resource. It needs to be protected and respected and carefully releasing the big female breeders is the best way to do your part.

Wooooooooooooooh fish on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyman Stripers 4.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	172757  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tyman Stripers 2.jpg (11.0 KB, 298 views)

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 05-30-2024 at 09:39 AM..
Old 05-30-2024, 11:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Handling Stripers to Release

The other point Gerry as you're picture shows is hold the fish horizontally with one hand holding the lower jaw and the other supporting the fish's own weight either right behind the stomach or holding the tail, dependent on how long the fish is. Never hold a fish by it's jaw or gills vertically as the weight of a fish any size will put tremendous pressure on the gills. Imagine someone lifting you up by your head, no different. Avoid holding it under the stomach as you could damage internal organs. And never touch the eyes or gills. Not exactly sure why the eyes are an issue other than the fact they must be sensitive and touching them will cause damage to the trophy. Also if you're going to place the fish on the deck which most people do before a pic, wet the deck down with water or have a mat or wet towel so the heat of the deck doesn't do damage to the fish. These fish are true trophies and the future of the fishery. A pic is great for memory sake but in private boats without high gunnels, a pic of the fish in the water in the net is just as memorable as a pic onboard with the associated stresses and risks to the fish. Party boats are a different story but charters and private boats should consider the alternative. It's not worth killing a 40 - 50lb trophy just to get an exact length and weight. And for fish this size, leave the Boga Grip home and consider purchasing an appropriate sized weight sling. Completely supports the fishes weight and cuts down on handling if your want to bring the fish onboard.

https://thkfish.net/products/thkfish...BoCEysQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Broad Bill; 05-30-2024 at 11:47 AM..
Old 05-30-2024, 11:54 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
The other point Gerry as you're picture shows is hold the fish horizontally with one hand holding the lower jaw and the other supporting the fish's own weight either right behind the stomach or holding the tail, dependent on how long the fish is. Never hold a fish by it's jaw or gills vertically as the weight of a fish any size will put tremendous pressure on the gills. Imagine someone lifting you up by your head, no different. Avoid holding it under the stomach as you could damage internal organs. And never touch the eyes or gills. Not exactly sure why the eyes are an issue other than the fact they must be sensitive and touching them will cause damage to the trophy. Also if you're going to place the fish on the deck which most people do before a pic, wet the deck down with water or have a mat or wet towel so the heat of the deck doesn't do damage to the fish. These fish are true trophies and the future of the fishery. A pic is great for memory sake but in private boats without high gunnels, a pic of the fish in the water in the net is just as memorable as a pic onboard with the associated stresses and risks to the fish. Party boats are a different story but charters and private boats should consider the alternative. It's not worth killing a 40 - 50lb trophy just to get an exact length and weight. And for fish this size, leave the Boga Grip home and consider purchasing an appropriate sized weight sling. Completely supports the fishes weight and cuts down on handling if your want to bring the fish onboard.

https://thkfish.net/products/thkfish...BoCEysQAvD_BwE
Yes but sometimes easier said than done especially with the size and weight of these fish. I’m 6 foot and although you’d never know it, I’ve been lifting weights all my life and it’s no easy task to do it by yourself. No shame in asking others to assist you to hoist it up for a quick pic.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 05-30-2024, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
No shame in asking others to assist you to hoist it up for a quick pic.
Agreed and I didn't say there was, just pointing out alternatives. Boga Grips, on the other hand, should never be used on bass or any fish with this kind of weight anyone plans on releasing.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 05-30-2024 at 02:46 PM..