NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ramapo River Access - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-12-2014, 09:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Ramapo River Access

Is there boat ramp access on the Ramapo River. Looking at a map I noticed
a stretch that is wide with houses. There is a bridge/road that passes over.
I noticed there is an area called Ramapo Valley Reservation. The area looks
great to fish , any info appreciated.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Ramapo River Access

The rapapo res is a good spot to fish however its a cointy park and you cant launch there.
That river has some low spots so unless you are ina kayak I wouldnt chance it
Old 10-12-2014, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Dave. But is there any boat access along the Ramapo?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There are many places to launch a kayak, canoe or small jon boat, but since you specified a boat ramp, the only one I'm aware of is on Potash Lake in Oakland just off West Oakland Ave. Potash Lake is just a wide spot in the river. If I recall correctly there is a small dam that may impede your ability to go north on the river from there, at least in low water conditions, but you can easily access the section between Potash Lake and Pompton Lake. That is the only section of the river I can think of above Pompton Lake where you can operate a boat with a motor all year round, without ripping off your prop.

As far as canoe/kayak launches I've launched my canoe behind the NY NJ Trail Conference HQ at 156 Ramapo Valley Rd and have seen others launch there as well. I see no reason you can't launch in Ramapo Reservation as long as you don't mind a carry of a hundred yards or so.

You can launch from Riverside Park a bit to the north of the Trail Conference HQ on Ramapo Valley Rd, but you have to carry across the ballfield. There is a small parking area next to the bridge on Glen Gray Rd in Mahwah (or is it Oakland at that point?). No reason you can't launch there. There is fisherman parking next to the Halifax Rd bridge in Mahwah and you can probably launch there. The rec complex in Oakland can be used as a launch, though that is where I usually take out. Also in Oakland you can launch or take out at the Doty Road bridge.

Last edited by briansnat; 10-14-2014 at 04:53 PM..