NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Nothing but Rainbows! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Nothing but Rainbows!

Am I the only one that's been catching nothing but rainbows. I have not caught any brooks or browns what's going on!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Nothing but Rainbows!

I don't think that many brookies have been stocked or I don't think any brookies have been stocked.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Caught nothing but browns opening day and the days before. Hit a gem of a river today that was loaded with Rainbows. Hopefully there's a few Brookies out there somewhere. There's alot of Trout to catch in the rivers right now. It only gets better from here!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

was fishing the river today caught 5 browns and on rainbow
Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Went out opening day and hit around 20 rainbows went out Sunday and caught another 11 had great days but all of them were rainbows
Old 04-07-2014, 11:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Most of the brookies at the hatchery had to be destroyed due to furunculosis. That is why there are far fewer fish this year and there will only be four in season stockings at the major rivers.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nothing but browns for me
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

On the major streams that have natural reproduction or have tribs with natural reproduction they are only stocking rainbows since these are the only fish that have never tested positive for the bacteria that causes furunculosis, nor has the water in the raceways they're in. Hence these fish are not considered potential low-level carriers. If you check the most updated list you'll see that these waters are only getting 3 in-season stockings. For example the Flatbrook, Paulinskill, Pohatcong, Musky, et al. The list... http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf...on14-sched.pdf

As well the plan was to only stock rainbows and browns for the pre-season elsewhere as posted here... http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/trtinfo_spring14.htm

Referring back to the first part on my post, unfortunately an entire raceway line of rainbows tested positive for the bacteria shortly after they had to euthanize those 114,000 brookies. The 'bows never experienced an outbreak but the water in the raceway tested positive so the raceway line was treated and those fish were eliminated from the numbers available for the major north jersey streams since they were now considered potential low-level carriers, hence the drop from 4 in-season stockings to just 3. The up side, more rainbows available for the 'Trout Maintenance" waters along with some higher allocations.

As you'll see on the link I posted the 'final' stocking allocations list was officially published on April 7 although it was developed several days before. It had to go through a review and approval process that obviously was highly expedited under the circumstances.

All that aside it's still going to be a good season in my humble opinion, even if it is somewhat shortened. With the good water levels we have statewide there should be trout a-plenty available well into May, especially for those willing to walk a bit away from the bridges and roadside locations. If the water levels hold up it should help keep the stream temps at bay for awhile even in the traditionally warmer areas such as the mainstem Raritan and it's branches. Personally I like the thought of being able to whack some trout in between some stellar smallie action!