NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Battery Choices - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Battery Choices

Time to replace the batteries in the boat and thought I would get some opinions.

Which type / brand deep cycle (or dual purpose) house batteries does everyone here like to run on their boat. Specifically, traditional flooded or AGM, which brand and why?

Thanks to all in advance
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Battery Choices

On the tow Boat I have never seen any batteries needing a jump start other that traditional lead-acid.

Does that mean the other multi-hundred dollar batteries are better? Or I see so few AGM batteries because there are so few are in use on recreational boats?

I still use lead-acid and simply replace them at end of 3 seasons. That's the magic number from what I've seen on 13 years of jump starts from the seatow boat. Any longer that 3 years and it's barrowed time.

I use a plain jane West marine dual purpose battery for about $125. I guess I could buy a $300 tricked out version... but why?

Capt. Frank
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I bit the bullet last time and bought Optima Blue Top (AMG) batteries because I was having charging issue on the boat. The house battery for some reason was not taking a charge from the engine alternator so every so often the house load would eventually drain it down completely and I would have to recharge it with a charger.

They have been through 5 trouble free seasons so far and the reason I decided to go the Optima route was because they supposedly tolerate more discharge and charge cycles better then the standard lead acid batteries and given my situation, I thought they'd be best. Had I not had the issue, I probably would have went with a plain lead acid battery.

Last 2 batteries I bought, one for the car and a spare for the boat I bought Wallmart Ever Start and so far so good.

Most important thing is to make sure they match your engine requirement in terms of cranking amps... If you don't know what that is and your prior batteries worked fine, then buy a replacement with similar specs.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for all the great info guys - I appreciate it