NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

FISHERMEN/Tread lightly Captains..... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 10-23-2024, 07:14 PM
Site Sponsor

Default FISHERMEN/Tread lightly Captains.....

Be very careful guys, the powers that be are on the moratorium hunt once again looking for any information to use against us.

I get it that everyone has to promote their business and make every day sound better than the last and better than the competitors but some of the headlines will only lead to our own demise. Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing when used wisely. Just my own humble opinion.

www.captainronsfishermen.com
Old 10-24-2024, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Exclamation Re: FISHERMEN/Tread lightly Captains.....

Things are hard enough without outright fabrication
You called it out for what could happen.
Old 10-24-2024, 01:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: FISHERMEN/Tread lightly Captains.....

Well said Capt...well said.

Enough with the pics of anglers holding these fat females. The paradigm has to shift to word reports for now. Words such as "slaughter, massacre, blood bath" whether true or not doesn't help anyone.

I'm sure most Captain's have their client base set and over the top adjectives aren't doing anyone any good. A word to the wise. Thanks again Ron for the input. Just my 2 cents. (Hi Gerry)

Added 10/25/24

Capt. Ron...you talk of a moratorium, I wonder if someone will tell the guys in MA that commercially fish for Stripers.

Striped Bass: Fishery is hook and line only; netting, spearing, and snagging striped bass is prohibited. No high-grading or filleting striped bass.

The commercial striped bass fishery opens on the first open fishing day on or after or after June 16; for 2024 this is Tuesday, June 18. Open fishing days will be Tuesdays and Wednesdays to start the season and Thursdays may be added on August 1 should 30% or more of the quota remain available. With consecutive open fishing days, commercial fishers may fish overnight tides spanning two open fishing days provided they do not possess or sell more than one limit during any single calendar day.

If an open fishing day falls on the 3rd or 4th of July, the commercial striped bass fishery will be closed. For 2024, this results in Wednesday, July 3 being closed to commercial fishing.

For boat-based permit holders fishing from the vessel named on the permit, the daily limit is 15-fish; for all other activity it is 2-fish. If the annual quota is not taken by November 15, then the fishery closes on November 16.

Commercial fishers may only sell striped bass to primary buyers on open commercial fishing days. Both the primary buyer and the commercial fisher must be present at this transaction. Dropping fish off at an unattended dealer facility is unlawful. Additionally, primary buyers must tag the striped bass upon taking possession of striped bass at primary purchase. Striped bass tags will be distributed to primary buyers in late-May/early-June.

They are allowed to catch Stripers 35" and over up to 15 fish per day. Are you kidding me? Rules and reg's for one state should be followed for ALL states on the east coast. NO?

Last edited by Capt John; Yesterday at 10:54 AM.. Reason: added more info.
Old 10-24-2024, 02:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

And the biggest irony is that all these trophy bass are thrown back, to die of old age without a single drop of lost blood - food for the crabs.
Old 10-24-2024, 04:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Agree with the titles being over the top. Thanks Ron.
Would love to hear more from Captains on the water everyday about mortality rates and their opinion on stock biomass! Personally I think and just my opinion that mortality rates are way overblown. Most anglers are using the right tackle, holding the fish properly for a very short time. quick picture and safe release.
Old 10-24-2024, 06:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: FISHERMEN/Tread lightly Captains.....

ALL OUT STRIPED BASS SLAUGHTER TODAY ON Miss Belmar Princess!
Just sayin'
Old 10-24-2024, 06:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Take what you eat and eat what you take ..... Period it. When you have a beauty take a picture and send them back for the next generation to become fisherman............... Just look at the face of young kids when they hook up....

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 10-24-2024, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Taking a picture of a YOUNG girl or boy is worth the price of admission when they have one on ..............................

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 10-24-2024, 06:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Give them your rod and ask them to help you out ............... LOOKS last FOREVER ...............

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 10-24-2024, 09:54 PM
NJFishing.com Member

The Groupon boat. Enough said...