NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

First time Passaic River - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-13-2014, 05:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default First time Passaic River

Decided to try the passaic river today, being that I live 5 min from an access point in Livingston( maybe Florham Park). Never fished it before but where I was kinda shallow. Needless to say I got skunked lol. Fished with a jerk bait, small spinner, and my buddy threw a texas rigged worm in there cause he's too lazy to change his lures lol. My question is, has anyone fished there before and is the spot decent or am I wasting my time. Since I don't have a boat I wanted to try and do some fishing local and Essex county hasn't shown much love in her waters! Also I AM NOT ASKING FOR SPOTS but does anyone know any public access points in my area-ish. I'll find my way through the woods once I get there!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: First time Passaic River

You're on the right track.

I don't think there are any real 'hot spots'. The fish are spread out through the entire river . Finding them is a matter of fishing skill, your ability to discern high-probability areas, and of-course luck.

I guarantee you will have your share of frustration as you learn to fish it. I don't consider myself an amateur fisherman, but I've watched local anglers pull big pike out of spots only minutes after I just fished that spot. WTF

So keep on doing what your doing. Put in your time and never stop learning.

Last edited by Eskimo; 05-13-2014 at 09:21 PM..
Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Conditions are crappy right now. Prob didn't help much. Just gotta keep at it. And even if your not after pike you should prob go with a leader. You'll still catch other fish. But if you don't use one, they'll steal your stuff, lol.......
Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
Conditions are crappy right now. Prob didn't help much. Just gotta keep at it. And even if your not after pike you should prob go with a leader. You'll still catch other fish. But if you don't use one, they'll steal your stuff, lol.......
I really don't have too much experience on river, this may be a silly questions what kind of conditions should I be looking for? Lol
Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Slower flows , clearer water, and walkable banks. Too much snow, rain, wind lately....
Old 05-13-2014, 10:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

2-4" rain coming Friday so the river will be high until July 4th...
Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Justin where you off of S. Orange Ave? I was there few weeks ago and it was flooded. I had some luck there last yr until the township or county came and started removing the all the laydowns
Old 05-14-2014, 07:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1982 View Post
Decided to try the passaic river today, being that I live 5 min from an access point in Livingston( maybe Florham Park). Never fished it before but where I was kinda shallow. Needless to say I got skunked lol. Fished with a jerk bait, small spinner, and my buddy threw a texas rigged worm in there cause he's too lazy to change his lures lol. My question is, has anyone fished there before and is the spot decent or am I wasting my time. Since I don't have a boat I wanted to try and do some fishing local and Essex county hasn't shown much love in her waters! Also I AM NOT ASKING FOR SPOTS but does anyone know any public access points in my area-ish. I'll find my way through the woods once I get there!
I don't know much about Passaic River but the most places I have fished lately, I have been catching using Wacky casting into brush piles. No other lures are working for me. I just twitch gently at the bottom of the brush pile and have been catching a lot. Funny thing is that I haven't had much luck with mono line but most of my success came with 6-8 lb flurocarbon line.