NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Mother's day Surprise. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Mother's day Surprise.

Sunday morning I hit the D&R Feeder Canal in the morning in a different spot. I caught a 9 1/2" brown and then started talking with a guy dog walking his dog about carp fishing. He told me thats the only kind of fishing he does but he was new to the area and didn't know of any good places and could I suggest a few? I told him the canal is a good place and the Delaware river is even better if he wants big ones. As we were talking my smallest trout rod bent in half. I picked it up to find a large carp on the other end. Guess he hear us talking about them LOL. Anyway a real good fight on that light trout combo and I was glad I had re spooled with 6 lb. test. I had to set the drag real loose at first and he made several runs. I finally got him close enough for the guy I was talking to to grab him out of the water as I had no net and thank God he was there otherwise I would have had to cut the line I think. The hook was pretty deep so I cut the line and after hefting him to try and guess his weight I let him go. We figured him to be about 10 lbs. I also caught a couple of pretty nice channel cats 5-6 lbs. in there over the weekend also on night crawlers. Total for the weekend was 2 channel cats, 1 carp, 1 smallmouth bass, and 4 brown trout.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Mother's day Surprise.

The Carp heard you guys talking and decided to pay you a visit. That's good stuff. Sounds like a good time on light tackle. Good job putting a catch together over the weekend. YEA BUDDY!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Mother's day Surprise.

Geez, I can't get anything out of that canal. I had a trout of some kind hit a white Panther Martin the other evening, but couldn't land him. Guess I've got to move around more.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I went there again yesterday after work and caught a mixed bag. 1 smallmouth bass about 14", 2 small bluegills, and one brown trout. All on garden worms. Lures don't work in the canal anymore this year or at lest not for me. Opening day I caught 3 on a roostertail and that worked for the first week but after that only worms or other live bait catch them no idea why. Some times you can get trout to chase a lure but they won't bite. Again no idea why.

Last edited by Almaink; 05-15-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll be digging this weekend...