NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

FISHERMEN/Easterly Flow.......Say goodbye to the last of the Fluke season!!! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 09-16-2024, 09:33 AM
Site Sponsor

Default FISHERMEN/Easterly Flow.......Say goodbye to the last of the Fluke season!!!

FISHERMEN/Easterly Flow.......Say goodbye to the last of the Fluke season!!!
Looks like we will be tied up the next several days....

East to NE wind, Nasty Ocean and a lack of a solid bite the past couple of days doesn't help.

If it doesn't straighten out by Sunday we will be Bottom Fishing starting Monday the 23rd. New sailing time of 7:00am-2:30pm.

We should get a couple good weeks of Bottom fishing before the fall striped bass season starts around the 3rd week of October.

Capt. Ron

www.captainronsfishermen.com
Old 09-16-2024, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: FISHERMEN/Easterly Flow.......Say goodbye to the last of the Fluke season!!!

I thought it wasn't over until Gerry said it's over. BUT, I happen to agree with you. Fish have been schooling up and feeding, full moon tomorrow, a week of strong easterly winds........not looking good. Next stop many of the fish the recs released this summer will be white side up on the ocean floor or being served in restaurants or for sale at Whole Foods for 28.99 / lb. Have to love the fair and equitable allocation of this stock and the complete and utter mismanagement.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 09-17-2024 at 09:58 AM..
Old 09-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Site Sponsor

Angry Re: FISHERMEN/Easterly Flow.......Say goodbye to the last of the Fluke season!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
I thought it wasn't over until Gerry said it's over. BUT, I happen to agree with you. Fish have been schooling up and feeding, full moon tomorrow, a week of strong easterly winds........not looking good. Next stop many of the fish the recs released this summer will be white side up on the ocean floor or being served in restaurants or for sale at Whole Foods for 28.99 / lb. Have to love the fair and equitable allocation of this stock and the complete and utter mismanagement.
Never seem to get to the end of the (allowed) season out of it.! We NEVER get back the days we lost, nobody mentions the fact that the past couple years there is hardly any participation all week long and maybe half of what it used to be on the weekends but, be dammed we certainly over fished once again! So sick of this total Bullshit after 48 years. Here's what you do, fish catch, clean, go the hell home and enjoy your measly catch. I can't afford pay to play like the big guns and that's how this Country runs plain & simple, we all know it. Sad part is the crumbs are causing a slow starvation among some of the hardest working people I have ever known!!! Capt. Ron

Old 09-16-2024, 05:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: FISHERMEN/Easterly Flow.......Say goodbye to the last of the Fluke season!!!

It ain't over 'til it's over. 24th and 25th might be OK. 6 LB 2oz fluke to beat for free (my favorite word) fishing for a year out of Brielle. All I want is one fish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winner.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	176324  
Old 09-16-2024, 05:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1captainron View Post
Never seem to get to the end of the (allowed) season out of it.! We NEVER get back the days we lost, nobody mentions the fact that the past couple years there is hardly any participation all week long and maybe half of what it used to be on the weekends but, be dammed we certainly over fished once again! So sick of this total Bullshit after 48 years. Here's what you do, fish catch, clean, go the hell home and enjoy your measly catch. I can't afford pay to play like the big guns and that's how this Country runs plain & simple, we all know it. Sad part is the crumbs are causing a slow starvation among some of the hardest working people I have ever known!!! Capt. Ron
Captain I couldn't agree with you more. I post what I do to bring attention to what I know is right based on endless research of the stock combined with science and mainly common sense. Some of the best years of my life involved fishing with my family on a party boat growing up. That lifestyle and important part of spending quality time with my family, time spent that can never be forgotten or replaced and gaining respect for nature and our oceans and shore's resources are being taken away from us and lost on today's political agendas and corporate greed. The frustration is I tried for almost seven years to change it and while I got a lot of people's attention, nothing changed. My work didn't result in the positive changes I'd hoped it would. I'm not a throw the towel in guy and never give up but as I said this fishery and others are in trouble and I'm not sure anymore of a practical approach to changing how they're being managed. I applaud your effort and others in your profession but in my opinion our federal government has given up on shore communities and the importance of a viable recreational fishery shared equally with commercial interests. I pray I'm wrong, I fear I'm right.

Why the states and their respective representatives involved with ASMFC and MAFMC don't come together to address the inevitable as well as the smaller local non out of state commercial operators Dan mentioned who will soon have nothing to fish for don't unite forces against NMFS is perplexing. In the end, everyone stands to lose so short term consequences for speaking up and breaking rank now shouldn't be a concern.

From a long-term perspective, all the state representatives presiding on these committees and at the federal level with NMFS are failing miserably in their responsibilities of managing an absolutely vital stock to just about every state on the Eastern seaboard. They're ignoring and failing in their responsibilities to make sure these resources are here for future generations of recreational anglers, commercial interests and small businesses whose survival is dependent on these resources. Without substantial change somewhere in this process, the future of these stocks are completely uncertain.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 09-25-2024 at 06:00 PM..
Old 09-16-2024, 06:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman View Post
It ain't over 'til it's over. 24th and 25th might be OK. 6 LB 2oz fluke to beat for free (my favorite word) fishing for a year out of Brielle. All I want is one fish!
Hopefully your not wrong but a 6.2 lb. fluke in September to win the monthly pool shows to some degree how and why this fishery has declined. I know one example doesn't make a trend but we've been seeing this now for years. Hope you have a chance to get your 6.3 on the 24th or 25th. With tomorrow's full moon, these big girls are going to be taking the express lanes back east and with a week of strong easterly winds the bottom will be all churned up. Even a blind squirrel unearths an acorn from time to time but I wouldn't bet on it with the current conditions forecast coupled with the state of the fishery.
Old 09-17-2024, 07:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ron it S**ks plain and simple but at least we got ours.we enjoyed the best days
of the industry.we never thought in a million years that party boat row would be empty,the waiting list for a slip was 10 years or more.its sad as i have grand kids
that love the sport but they will never have what i had and i don't mean just the fishing.the government will make sure of that unless we make some big changes.
Old 09-17-2024, 05:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lets be real. Its been decades that we the recreational anglers have allowed the Feds to shove these regulations up you know where. Since I joined this site in 2008 we tried to rally the troops but the recreational cavalry NEVER came over the hill when we blew the horns. Capt Ron/ BB you were always on the right side of the fight since the day I met you at the SSFFF dinner and we did many fundraisers etc on your boat and I ran many fundraisers on boats from AH to AC but it was always the same small army that showed up!

So blame the Feds all you want ( I do on management of our stocks) but also look in the mirror as we all allowed it for years and multiple administrations!!!

YES I am saying it: Its OUR fault for not fighting harder in mass when we had the chance.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Here's the dilemma we're faced with. If a fishery has a commercial presence, decisions and regulations are made heavily biased in favor of the commercial sector with no emphasis on the fishery itself or the recreational sector. If a fishery doesn't have a commercial presence, the fishery is either ignored or management decisions and regulations are changed when the stock has declined to a point where it's almost too late. Without money and lawsuits filed, nothing will change. What's tragic is with the amount of spend by the recreational sector that flows through organizations who are supposed to be representing the recreational angler, they're not. God only knows where the funds end up but they are certainly not being used for the benefit of fisheries management and the recreational angling communities benefit. We have an incredibly corrupt system driven by commercial greed, corrupt politicians and incompetent agencies where the interests of the general public will always get the short end of the stick.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 09-18-2024 at 06:50 AM..
Old 09-18-2024, 06:07 AM
Site Sponsor

Angry Re: FISHERMEN/Easterly Flow.......Say goodbye to the last of the Fluke season!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Lets be real. Its been decades that we the recreational anglers have allowed the Feds to shove these regulations up you know where. Since I joined this site in 2008 we tried to rally the troops but the recreational cavalry NEVER came over the hill when we blew the horns. Capt Ron/ BB you were always on the right side of the fight since the day I met you at the SSFFF dinner and we did many fundraisers etc on your boat and I ran many fundraisers on boats from AH to AC but it was always the same small army that showed up!

So blame the Feds all you want ( I do on management of our stocks) but also look in the mirror as we all allowed it for years and multiple administrations!!!

YES I am saying it: Its OUR fault for not fighting harder in mass when we had the chance.
I couldn't agree with you more Dale!! It was like pulling teeth trying to raise money for SSSFF. I said that would be the last time I ever begged for anything in my life. I was more shocked by the number of "Pros" in the Party & Charter Boat industry that just blew it off. Here I was in Atlantic city at a booth selling Hats & shirts like an *******, for what? I raised thousands of dollars from many of my customers who didn't bat an eye writing a check, yet, I had to hear excuses from the folks this would have benefited the most. The general public has NO skin in the game, write a letter, call a congressman? Nobody does it now and look at the shape of this country!! Broad Bill, you can post all you want, I appreciate the hard work you put into this, you have way more stamina than me as I seem to think we are at the point where it doesn't matter. We no longer have a voice or any Skin in the game either, we are actually in the way!! I'll do what I have to do to survive and when my time is up, so be it. I'll be just another Captain who made it to Mel's place.......