NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Manasquan Inlet Be careful! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 08-06-2024, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Manasquan Inlet Be careful!

https://patch.com/new-jersey/pointpl...ned-army-corps

I think they are dredging as early as today. Be careful out there, not a lot of room for passing vessels and a bit of a washing machine .
Old 08-06-2024, 09:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Manasquan Inlet Be careful!

That's absolutely insane. Whatever was done a year or two ago obviously filled in sand but didn't address the cause. Wonder what's changed and if this is a result of the relentless south winds we've been getting. Forever, that inlet needed occasional dredging but never shoaled up like it has in recent years. In light of the tragedy last year where a young man lost his life, I hope whatever they do is done sooner than later since it appears the Manasquan Inlet has become as dangerous if not more than the Barnegat Inlet and with the amount of boat traffic navigating it every day it's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A really good plain English write up. Making a point about the inlet needing TLC regularly.

Only goof was ICW does NOT start in New England, It starts at this Inlet and goes to Brownsville TX.

A very good story indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
https://patch.com/new-jersey/pointpl...ned-army-corps

I think they are dredging as early as today. Be careful out there, not a lot of room for passing vessels and a bit of a washing machine .
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 08-06-2024, 11:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If they don't get to dredge it I wonder if this storm coming up the coast will make it even worst? I think a lot depends on the intensity of the storm! Let's hope they can open it up before it hits!
Old 08-06-2024, 12:49 PM
Site Sponsor

Dredging has begun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8447.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	174920  
(732) 580-6910
www.redeemersportfishing.com

Last edited by Redeemer Sportfishing; 08-06-2024 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-06-2024, 04:35 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

This issue was brought to the attention of the Army Corp of Engineers back in August of 2022 which is when this video was published https://youtu.be/7eZ7HtQMosQ?si=rjJ-vieQvDiNMxTV

Glad to see something is finally being done about it...

6 or 7 years ago we had a really bad problem at Leonardo State marina. It was so bad that at low tide the center of the channel marina was around 2 feet. Here again, even with the state behind us, it took 2 years to get the area dredged and we had to keep the issue white hot in order to get their attention and make it a priority.

Only way to get them to do anything is to keep on bothering them until it bubbles up to certain people and they finally get tired of having to make excuses to answer the public's needs and finally force them to do their job so they keep us flies off their back...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-06-2024, 04:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
This issue was brought to the attention of the Army Corp of Engineers back in August of 2022 which is when this video was published https://youtu.be/7eZ7HtQMosQ?si=rjJ-vieQvDiNMxTV

Glad to see something is finally being done about it...

6 or 7 years ago we had a really bad problem at Leonardo State marina. It was so bad that at low tide the center of the channel marina was around 2 feet. Here again, even with the state behind us, it took 2 years to get the area dredged and we had to keep the issue white hot in order to get their attention and make it a priority.

Only way to get them to do anything is to keep on bothering them until it bubbles up to certain people and they finally get tired of having to make excuses to answer the public's needs and finally force them to do their job so they keep us flies off their back...
Gerry same holds true to the debacle maybe five years ago in Belmar dredging out the north channel. From recollection, a lot of money was spent and the job the contractors did sounded like it was a complete debacle. I'm afraid in the case of the MI, they're going to have to determine why this is happening and resolve the cause as opposed to just cleaning up the results every year or so. That inlet can be nasty and when you have a very well known non sponsor who has navigated the mouth more than most talking about how treacherous it was this past weekend, the powers to be had better start listening or peoples lives will be at risk. I'm sure if Debbie comes close to the coast working her way north, that mouth will be extremely dangerous for days and probably most of the work the Army Corp is doing this week will be washed away.
Old 08-06-2024, 05:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biggest-i...091209370.html
Old 08-06-2024, 05:41 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
Gerry same holds true to the debacle maybe five years ago in Belmar dredging out the north channel. From recollection, a lot of money was spent and the job the contractors did sounded like it was a complete debacle. I'm afraid in the case of the MI, they're going to have to determine why this is happening and resolve the cause as opposed to just cleaning up the results every year or so. That inlet can be nasty and when you have a very well known non sponsor who has navigated the mouth more than most talking about how treacherous it was this past weekend, the powers to be had better start listening or peoples lives will be at risk. I'm sure if Debbie comes close to the coast working her way north, that mouth will be extremely dangerous for days and probably most of the work the Army Corp is doing this week will be washed away.
Yep probably one of the busiest inlets in our state barring the big commercial ports stacked with big powerful companie$ and commerce who's interests are always looked after and proactively taken care of. I get that but sadly Manasquan is loaded with small recreational and commercial fishing businesses who get ignored unless they make noise.

Not sure what the root cause is but I'd bet it has a lot to do with beach replenishment and we all know that's not going to stop... Best we can hope for short term is when these smaller inlet situations arise, they get the proper attention and priority they also deserve.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-07-2024, 05:17 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

For those of you not familiar with running inlets, here is some tips from an article I wrote on the subject a while back...

- If you’re running out of an inlet and you encounter unfavorable conditions, the mouth of the inlet is the worse place to turn around. If you are at the mouth it’s best to tough it out through the inlet and then if you decide to head back in, make your turn out in the ocean where the waves are not as bad. The waves are usually not as frequent or steep in the ocean and you have better maneuverability and there are fewer boats around to be concerned with.

- Large swells at the inlet entrance are caused by the inlet currents meeting the ocean and boat traffic. This is usually more pronounced when you have a wind against tide situation, especially an outgoing tide and an east winds. If you’re running a small boat why not take the car down to the inlet before you run it to check the conditions. Either that or get on the radio and try and reach someone who had just ran it.

- Following seas can be very dangerous and unnerving to small, underpowered and especially new boaters. They are most frequently encountered when running into rather then out of an inlet. When the back of a wave hits your stern it causes you to loose steering and therefore control of your boat. In small outboard boats with open transom wells they can also cause swamping.

- Another problem in following seas is Pitchpoling. You can liken it to surfing a wave. Easy to do on a surfboard but not to be done on a boat. If you're climbing over a wave once over the top and down the back of it you can build up excessive speed and make your bow dig into the trough of the next wave. The pressure on the back and front of the boat can cause you to loose steering and roll. This happens most often when you have tight steep waves instead of spread out swells. Best thing to do to avoid Pitchpoling is keep your bow up and as light as possible and avoid getting caught on the back of a wave going too slow. For this reason when you’re approaching an inlet in following seas hang outside the inlet and observe the wave patterns. Most often waves will come along in-groups of 3s with the last wave being the largest. You want to follow behind that 3rd wave and keep up enough power so waves don’t overtake you from behind. You need a lot of power for this maneuver and some skill. If you or your boat is not up to the task best to stay on the ocean side until conditions improve in the inlet.

- The weather doesn't have to be terrible for inlet conditions to turn sour. Boat traffic also effects the ability of a small boater to run an inlet for 2 reasons 1) Boats cause wakes which are exaggerated in the small confines of an inlet and 2) Boat traffic dictates how fast or slow you can go as well as where and when you can or can't turn. It's always best to hang back and let larger boats clear the inlet before you run it.

- The worst conditions you'll encounter are typically wind against tide since it makes the waves stack up at the inlet entrance were the inlet flows meets the ocean. So for the Manasquan it's an out going tide and east winds or an incoming tide and west winds with the outgoing and east winds the worst of the 2. And remember, you not only have to get out, you have to get back in so plan to try to time your inlet transits to avoid these conditions.

Here's a perfect example of what not to do...

Wind was predicted to be 20 plus out of the west. I did however know if I rounded the hook during early stages of the outgoing tide it wouldn't be too bad and once I rounded the tip if I stayed tight into the beach would be smooth as glass and I'd run back in before the tide changed to incoming. I got the first part right and had a real nice day of fishing in flat calm seas. Fishing was really picking up and the ocean was falt clam, we were enjoying ourselves and I decided to keep on fishing and over stayed our welcome.

When we headed back in it was incoming tide against that hard west and the was a big mistake! When we rounded the hook to the strong exposed west winds against the incoming it was evil. I've been caught out in some shit but this was the mother of all shit. Tight 5 and 6 footers with the wind blowing the tops off the waves. So tight you felt like you were a cork in a washing machine and I dared not try and turn around... Instead I pulled the throttles back just enough to make way into the seas and slugged it out with green walls of water washing up over the bow, windshield and over the hard top.

Took me a white knuckle hour to make it 10 miles back to the slip and when I got there I actually kissed the dock.

This was a lesson I will never forget and won't make that mistake again....

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area