NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Japanese-Style Grilled Bluefish - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Recipes
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Recipes Use this board to post your favorite recipes

Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thumbs up Japanese-Style Grilled Bluefish

Finally found a bluefish recipe that I love! I found this at Epicurious and the official title is Japanese-Style Fish. It is perfect for bluefish.

I added a couple of notes myself, especially the part about the gill being very hot. Some fish will stick to the grill, but it's worth the hassle to get the fish nice and crispy. Also, I was able to leave the fish in the marinade for 36 hours without the fish losing any freshness.

[B]Japanese-Style Grilled Bluefish

[B]Japanese-Style Marinade
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sake or dry white wine
1/4 cup mirin or sweet sherry
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger

4 fish fillets (bluefish, mackerel, or other oily fish), about 6 ounces each
Olive oil
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Lemon slices for serving

[B]Method
1. To make the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and then immediately remove from the heat. Cover and let cool to room temperature.
2. Arrange the fish fillets in a deep baking dish and pour the marinade over. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, turning the fish occasionally.
3. Prepare a hot fire in a grill. Oil the grill grate or a perforated grill rack.
4. Remove the fish from the marinade and pat dry. Brush or spray the fillets on both sides with olive oil. Place the fish, flesh side down, on the grill rack and grill for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, turning once halfway through. A fish fillet is done when it begins to flake when tested with a fork in the thickest part. Remove from the grill, season with salt and pepper, and serve hot, garnished with fresh lemon slices.

Some of the Epicurious reviews indicated this was too sweet, so I used one tablespoon of sugar instead of two. Try it and see how you like it.

Oh, one other hint: while you fish, keep what you've caught on ice. The fish will stay much fresher.

Enjoy, all,

T