NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

If you could take just one.... - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: If you could take just one....

Thats a great idea Gerry. With the right rod it could cover all your inshore fishing.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Old Soft Salt

My baitrunner (6500) is way heavy.
But I do love it.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I love Baitrunners(for bass and blues anyway). Like Gerry said, not giving an Avet or any reel over 150 bucks to a tourist/hack/newbie.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: If you could take just one....

har-lee rod has a nice special. shimano rod matched with the new okuma 300 reel for about 80 bucks. good all around set up.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

Spending on a true custom rod for a "1 rod to catch everything" approach makes about as much sense as wearing flip flops on a polar bear hunt.

Conventional. 7'. medium fast. graphite. cork tape. 15-30# line class. lure rating 3-5 oz. (basically the blank the Lami TFX 7030 is built on)

Shimano torium 14 for braid... bump it up a couple sizes for mono.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Penn Jigmaster combo and spool with 40 lb. mono. This guy isn't all that serious about fishing and seems like he'll go 3 or 4 times a year at most. He's gonna regret spending a lot if he does.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker
Spending on a true custom rod for a "1 rod to catch everything" approach makes about as much sense as wearing flip flops on a polar bear hunt.

Conventional. 7'. medium fast. graphite. cork tape. 15-30# line class. lure rating 3-5 oz. (basically the blank the Lami TFX 7030 is built on)

Shimano torium 14 for braid... bump it up a couple sizes for mono.
I have to respectfully disagree with your initial sentiment in your post, because you can get a great, over-built custom rod that will hold up forever to the specs you mention for well under 200 dollars. And it'll have good resale value should this person decide to quit fishing altogether. Not to mention if anything happens to it, a proud builder like Kevin Bogan or other local non-sponsor builders would likely repair it immediately for free (or very close to it). Not to say a production rod from a tackle shop is a bad decision at all, but a custom rod isn't really so crazy...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For $250 to buy a custom rod and a "good" quality reel it's tough. Tell your friend to wait and save more money or take some of these suggestions on 3 pages of posts. I know it's tough but most new combos like what you're asking for will top $300. The reel alone is close to $200 depending on choice. That's why they have credit cards
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukinator
I have to respectfully disagree with your initial sentiment in your post, because you can get a great, over-built custom rod that will hold up forever to the specs you mention for well under 200 dollars. And it'll have good resale value should this person decide to quit fishing altogether. Not to mention if anything happens to it, a proud builder like Kevin Bogan or other local non-sponsor builders would likely repair it immediately for free (or very close to it). Not to say a production rod from a tackle shop is a bad decision at all, but a custom rod isn't really so crazy...
Who's doing custom work for "well under $200"? Seriously, 'cause I'll give them some business.

I know exactly what I want... Lami 114-3F, #12 tip, spiral wrapped with cork tape handle.

If you have a guy that will put that in my hands for $200 all in, please drop me a PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker
Who's doing custom work for "well under $200"? Seriously, 'cause I'll give them some business.

I know exactly what I want... Lami 114-3F, #12 tip, spiral wrapped with cork tape handle.

If you have a guy that will put that in my hands for $200 all in, please drop me a PM.
just had a custom built on a triflex 7650 blank.
20 + inches of cork, good eyes, and had it done for under 200.
Matter of fact I have over a dozen custom lami and ALL were below 200, from a very reputable builder

Lamiglas triflex blank 7030 custom with a Daiwa saltiga 30 levelwind is a great set up for both an occasional user and a serios fisherman also

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club

Last edited by hammer4reel; 02-22-2010 at 08:31 PM..