NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Inshore and offshore? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-10-2024, 06:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Inshore and offshore?

I have a bit different take on this..

You said you will be having $30K to play with..

Not all that much if you want a boat thats truly offshore capable... You might want to consider a clean, used,great condition Center console of around 20-21 feet.Something like an Aquasport, Mako etc... You would be surprised at what 10-15K will buy you in a used boat if you look around!... That boat will get you 90% of what you want.. plenty of boat for near shore fishing for Fluke/Blues/Stripers/Bottom, and can certainly be taken mid range on good days.. For the truly offshore fishing, you would still have half that 30K left, and that will get you on a lot of open charters that go after pelagics, or long range party boat trips that go far off for tiles/exotics... Just a thought.. If I had 30 K, I would get a good used inshore boat thats seaworthy, tough and capable,and would keep a considerable sum available for offshoresome/long range fishing with highly experienced crews, and much better equipment than your 30K will ever buy.. You can do a LOT of great fishing in NJ with 10-15 K, with captains that will put you on fish every time. I can just about guarantee that your dreams of taking that trailerable boat offshore will hit reality very soon after purchase when you find it costs you $300 just in gas every time out, the weather never cooperates on the days when you want to go,you find out how much work ,prep and time is involved,you get caught 40 miles off in a sudden, intense,pop up thunderstorm out of nowhere, etc... Some guys do well in their "offshore aspirations", many if not most do not... Takes a lot of time, prep, money, experience, even luck...Weigh all your options carefully.. just remember, that vast majority of salt water fish caught by recreational fishermen are caught within sight of land.. The ones that aren't are more easily caught with help from highly experienced pros... a LOT of people buy offshore capable boats, and then downsize mainly from lack of use... Just consider carefully, and best of luck!... bob
Old 06-10-2024, 07:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I have a bit different take on this..

You said you will be having $30K to play with..

Not all that much if you want a boat thats truly offshore capable... You might want to consider a clean, used,great condition Center console of around 20-21 feet.Something like an Aquasport, Mako etc... You would be surprised at what 10-15K will buy you in a used boat if you look around!... That boat will get you 90% of what you want.. plenty of boat for near shore fishing for Fluke/Blues/Stripers/Bottom, and can certainly be taken mid range on good days.. For the truly offshore fishing, you would still have half that 30K left, and that will get you on a lot of open charters that go after pelagics, or long range party boat trips that go far off for tiles/exotics... Just a thought.. If I had 30 K, I would get a good used inshore boat thats seaworthy, tough and capable,and would keep a considerable sum available for offshoresome/long range fishing with highly experienced crews, and much better equipment than your 30K will ever buy.. You can do a LOT of great fishing in NJ with 10-15 K, with captains that will put you on fish every time. I can just about guarantee that your dreams of taking that trailerable boat offshore will hit reality very soon after purchase when you find it costs you $300 just in gas every time out, the weather never cooperates on the days when you want to go,you find out how much work ,prep and time is involved,you get caught 40 miles off in a sudden, intense,pop up thunderstorm out of nowhere, etc... Some guys do well in their "offshore aspirations", many if not most do not... Takes a lot of time, prep, money, experience, even luck...Weigh all your options carefully.. just remember, that vast majority of salt water fish caught by recreational fishermen are caught within sight of land.. The ones that aren't are more easily caught with help from highly experienced pros... a LOT of people buy offshore capable boats, and then downsize mainly from lack of use... Just consider carefully, and best of luck!... bob
A few years ago that was true .
You are not finding a decent used boat cheap anymore .
In actuality boats prices have double since Covid .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 06-10-2024, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
A few years ago that was true .
You are not finding a decent used boat cheap anymore .
In actuality boats prices have double since Covid .

I won't argue, but will say this- I see a LOT of nice used 19-22 ft center console boats under 15 K.. You won't get a late model for that, but a clean well maintained used 20 footer with a good running 175?.. I see plenty of them around, and I don't even live in NJ..
Old 06-11-2024, 07:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I won't argue, but will say this- I see a LOT of nice used 19-22 ft center console boats under 15 K.. You won't get a late model for that, but a clean well maintained used 20 footer with a good running 175?.. I see plenty of them around, and I don't even live in NJ..

Look on boat trader right now .
See how many you can find under 35000 in Nj.

My sea pro 238 cost 43000 with a trailer in 2007
I sold it in 2016 for 25000 with 850 hrs on engines
Guy I sold it to resold it this spring for 39000 with 1600 hrs on engines .

And that’s a typical price now .
Many boats that are 15-20 years old are selling for approx what they cost new in their year built .

Why, because new boat prices are insane .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 06-11-2024, 12:12 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
Look on boat trader right now .
See how many you can find under 35000 in Nj.

My sea pro 238 cost 43000 with a trailer in 2007
I sold it in 2016 for 25000 with 850 hrs on engines
Guy I sold it to resold it this spring for 39000 with 1600 hrs on engines .

And that’s a typical price now .
Many boats that are 15-20 years old are selling for approx what they cost new in their year built .

Why, because new boat prices are insane .

Yes - no way we could afford to replace our boat @ these prices.. I think the best option for him might be to find and older high quality boat that might have older power on it and look to repower it. Not that any boat should be looked at as an investment but you won't get hurt as much going this route then you would if you bought a lesser brand new or newer and decided to sell it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-12-2024, 06:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There are a LOT of meticulously maintained Great lakes boats for sale, in the 10-20- k range.. Typically with kickers hooked into their steering systems, and set up for big water trolling.. Aquasport/Logic/Penn Yan/Abemarle/Wellcraft/Grady etc.. Even some CC boats.. As I stated, he won't get a new boat for 15 K, but there are a ton of well built, good condition boats in many configurations that would do very well for near shore to maybe 20 miles offshore salt water fishing... Great lakes boat owners take their rigs very seriously, and most are pristine despite age.. Most look new no matter how old....NJ is probably not the best place to look for a used boat, and BoatTrader is the WORST place to look... Prices listed there have been crazy for as long as I can remember.. if the OP would like he can PM me, and I will let him know some sites to have a look at some really nice
heavy duty boats that are well within his price range.... bob
Old 06-12-2024, 07:28 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
There are a LOT of meticulously maintained Great lakes boats for sale, in the 10-20- k range.. Typically with kickers hooked into their steering systems, and set up for big water trolling.. Aquasport/Logic/Penn Yan/Abemarle/Wellcraft/Grady etc.. Even some CC boats.. As I stated, he won't get a new boat for 15 K, but there are a ton of well built, good condition boats in many configurations that would do very well for near shore to maybe 20 miles offshore salt water fishing... Great lakes boat owners take their rigs very seriously, and most are pristine despite age.. Most look new no matter how old....NJ is probably not the best place to look for a used boat, and BoatTrader is the WORST place to look... Prices listed there have been crazy for as long as I can remember.. if the OP would like he can PM me, and I will let him know some sites to have a look at some really nice
heavy duty boats that are well within his price range.... bob
A Great Lake boat is a great idea. They typically get used less
because of their shorter boating season and the fresh water is much easier on boats and engines then salt water. A friend of mine did this a few years back and got a great deal on a pristine Formula cruising style boat. Shipping can however can be expensive but if you have a truck and boat comes with a trailer you can DIY.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area