NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bluefish insane this year in comparison to other years why? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 09-29-2024, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Bluefish insane this year in comparison to other years why?

I don’t see the uptick in bluefish at all. The spring skinny long runners we used to see every year have been non existent.

The 1 pounders crushing spearing in late Aug into Sept were also sparse.

All these reports of “blues to 12 pounds” are nonsense. I haven’t seen a pic of a blue over 6-7 pounds in a long time.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 09-29-2024, 09:21 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Whole month of May we had 30 to 36 inch bluefish on the beaches of LBI almost everyday on bunker chunks meant for bass….A few days we got them good at the Barnegat inlet on the biggest plugs you could find in your bag..haven’t seen that since I’ve lived down here. Once summer came they were gone now it’s been all 2 to 4lb blues in same spots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5959.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	176518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5943.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	176519  
Old 09-29-2024, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Bluefish insane this year in comparison to other years why?

Not sure you can base any theories on "this year" 2024 because the upwelling was insane ! Not that I spend a lot of time at the beach over the last few years but since I retired I did spend a lot of time at the beach this year. Day after day greeted by heavy fog and frigid, and I mean obnoxiously cold water. Many families that vacation at the Jersey shore are throwing in the towel and not coming back, they are going to Virginia and North Carolina where they can at least swim in the ocean.
Old 09-29-2024, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Many families that vacation at the Jersey shore are throwing in the towel and not coming back, they are going to Virginia and North Carolina where they can at least swim in the ocean.
As someone who commutes through Belmar every day, I am in full support of their decision.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 09-30-2024, 08:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

nordic eels,tiger tales came later{lol}those were the days
Old 10-01-2024, 08:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yes there was a good run of #1-3 bluefish this summer that continues to today. However, I remember that from late September thru Thanksgiving there be massive amounts of bluefish over #8 caught daily from the beach and by boat. I don't see that anymore (except a day here & a day there).

Although the past few springs I've had good action with bluefish from #4-12 in the rivers and inlets-I don't hear much about big blues in Raritan Bay in the spring anymore. Used hammer them on both chunks and bunker spoons while bass fishing.

Anyone else recall the Bingle Banana as being the must have bluefish lure ?
Old 10-01-2024, 03:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ok as this was a bet with a buddy that any statement even on a good fishery would have conflicting opinions that's settled.

No where was it said it was as good as the old days or were poundage per fish mentioned in my original post. it was more about last few years most had bluefish written off completely even with a July spawn NG and this year it has been pretty steady offshore and inshore so it was just a why?

Ole Pedro had the best answer.
Old 10-01-2024, 04:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Ok as this was a bet with a buddy that any statement even on a good fishery would have conflicting opinions that's settled.

No where was it said it was as good as the old days or were poundage per fish mentioned in my original post. it was more about last few years most had bluefish written off completely even with a July spawn NG and this year it has been pretty steady offshore and inshore so it was just a why?

Ole Pedro had the best answer.
Yes, I get it, but somewhat better than pretty bad is still not too good. Bluefish numbers are far below the historical norm.
Old 10-01-2024, 05:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

[QUOTE=bulletbob;585618]Yes, I get it, but somewhat better than pretty bad is still not too good. Bluefish numbers are far below the historical norm.

Thanks Bob, agree but again not what the post was about.
Old 10-02-2024, 01:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolmann View Post
Yes there was a good run of #1-3 bluefish this summer that continues to today. However, I remember that from late September thru Thanksgiving there be massive amounts of bluefish over #8 caught daily from the beach and by boat. I don't see that anymore (except a day here & a day there).

Although the past few springs I've had good action with bluefish from #4-12 in the rivers and inlets-I don't hear much about big blues in Raritan Bay in the spring anymore. Used hammer them on both chunks and bunker spoons while bass fishing.

Anyone else recall the Bingle Banana as being the must have bluefish lure ?
Yes 👍 I still have some.