NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The end of a era! - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: The end of a era!

I agree with your pros & cons Detour, and I too feel your pain.

My brother and I have owned several boats separately, and/or as partners since 1976. We've had great times, and some not so great, for all the reasons mentioned above.

8 weeks ago, we both watched sadly as the new owner pulled our last 21' cuddy out of my driveway along with tons of boating equipment and spare parts we had accumulated over the years.
We have the time but no longer have the energy, ambition, or sometimes the $$ necessary to take care of the boat and enjoy it more frequently.
Even at that, my brother almost ran after the boat to change his mind.

The new owner called me a few weeks later and said after some elbow grease, he enjoyed it with his kids all day on Father's Day.
That made us both feel better.

We've been fishing weekly with a friend out of AHMM since early June. Also had two charters and a PB trip. We put fuel, bait and clean-up efforts into our friend's boat.
It's not the same. We're older now, but we still talk about one more bigger and more comfortable boat.........Our wives think we're two old fools.
We probably are. Who knows.

Weigh the decision carefully Bergen Angler. I would do it again for another 36 years if I had that amount of good boating / fishing time left, but that's just me.
Good luck & Tight lines.
Tom.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: The end of a era!

Hey Tom... Really great post... thanks for sharing to you and everyone else!

Maybe we should put a "Former Boat Owners" fishing trip together on a open charter or something... just a thought. Tight lines all... its good to know you are not alone!

P.S MBOY I received your PM and i tried to send you a message but your inbox is full. K
Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sorry. Good to go now
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Money is one thing and time is another. Problem is you never seem to have both at the same time. One of life's little jokes I suppose...

If I ever added up the money I've put into boats I'd probably make myself sick, but as long as I have the financial means, I will always have one even if it's something small to putt around in....

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have a 17 foot aluminum center console with a 90 mariner outboard. Spend a lot of time keeping it seaworthy an now trying to keep up with all the leaks in the hull. I'm 67 and have always had some type of boat. I fish Raritan bay out of the Sayreville boat ramp. I find that after a day on the water I'm exhausted. Last year I told two of my friends to get their Coast Guard certificates so they can help me run the boat. They did and now enjoy operating the boat. I have them make the run out and in while I relax and enjoy the ride. It's also nice the Sayreville ramp has 3 wash up stations so you can wash up the boat right at the ramp. I have also thought about giving up the boat but think I would regret it. Anyway hope to keep on boating and fishing as long I can. When you dead I think it going to be for a long time.... Walt