NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Salmon river.... fishing or glorified snagging? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-14-2024, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Salmon river.... fishing or glorified snagging?

Want to listen to 4 guys argue about flossing fish on the salmon river and if its legitimate fishing or glorified snagging?

Podcast episode available now on youtube:

https://youtu.be/zZw97zE9G84?si=j2OW74QwPka_OgSJ

The fb poll was a stunning 96% to 3% calling it glorified snagging.... what are your thoughts?
Old 10-14-2024, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Salmon river.... fishing or glorified snagging?

I agree, it's glorified snagging for sure - but it's definitely an experience. There's also the chance to catch big browns if you're actually using a decent setup and not a treble hook with sponge on it

I didn't get the chance to make it up there this year, but I've enjoyed it in the past. A spectacle to be seen for sure.

Steelhead are way better
Old 10-15-2024, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
I agree, it's glorified snagging for sure - but it's definitely an experience. There's also the chance to catch big browns if you're actually using a decent setup and not a treble hook with sponge on it

I didn't get the chance to make it up there this year, but I've enjoyed it in the past. A spectacle to be seen for sure.

Steelhead are way better
Def fun whatever it is haha
Old 10-15-2024, 04:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I live here in NY state.. Just a couple hours from Salmon River.. I went once in the 90's.. even caught a salmon my first trip... to me personally, it was an awful spectacle.. Those fish were all snagged, each and every one.. The guys that caught fish in the mouth simply had better polarized glasses, and more adept hands and skills, and had an uncanny knack for drifting the hook very close to the mouths of fish facing in to the current.. I guess some fish are hooked legit, but those spawning salmon do not eat, and if everyone were fishing as the law says we should be fishing, there would be very few stream run spawning salmon caught, and the "fishery" wouldn't really exist.. I begrudge no one enjoying and utilizing these fish, they are as good as dead anyway as soon as the drop their eggs or milt, but its not for me by any stretch.. I didn't care for the mayhem, and I deemed it "fishing in a combat zone". Never went back, never really had the desire.. For the guys that enjoy it, more power to you! bob
Old 10-15-2024, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Snagging is snagging, whether it's in the mouth, the back, or the ass. Definitely not for me. A big part of what makes fishing satisfying to me is actually fooling a fish into striking a lure, out of either hunger or anger. If I just wanted to stick a fish anywhere with a sharp piece of metal, I'd go bowfishing.

When I was a kid, my brother and I would snag carp at the local pond with inline spinners. Try doing that in muddy water where you can't see the fish and you're only going by bubbles, puffs of mud, and the boils from their tails. That takes skill!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 10-15-2024, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Personal experience the fish come up to spawn and they are not eating. If you happen to catch one in the mouth it's just because they are breathing and inhale your bait...

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 10-15-2024, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
Snagging is snagging, whether it's in the mouth, the back, or the ass. Definitely not for me. A big part of what makes fishing satisfying to me is actually fooling a fish into striking a lure, out of either hunger or anger. If I just wanted to stick a fish anywhere with a sharp piece of metal, I'd go bowfishing.

When I was a kid, my brother and I would snag carp at the local pond with inline spinners. Try doing that in muddy water where you can't see the fish and you're only going by bubbles, puffs of mud, and the boils from their tails. That takes skill!
They say that some guys especially fly fishermen can and do get the fish to hit in a legit fashion with streamers and other flashy lures, probably be pissing them off.. I have no doubts thats true, but for most fishermen the general consensus is, "if you don't snag them, you don't catch them".
Old 10-16-2024, 02:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i loved it it when we could snag them.paint a bunker dunker{not me} yellow or pink,toss it out and when it vanished just rip the hell out of it.penn 550 loaded with 40lb pink andi and 7 foot heavy duty rod.man that was fishing!!!