NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Grady White Fisherman 216, anyone own one? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-30-2024, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Grady White Fisherman 216, anyone own one?

Hi, I currently own an 18' center console boat that I keep docked in Raritan bay and am looking to size up to a GW center console (specifically the Fisherman 216). I have never been on one of these boats and the local GW dealers are not enthusiastic about accomodating me unless I put $down. If there is anyone who owns one of those boats and wouldn't mind giving me a quick (or not so quick) a ride I would greatly appreciate it and would cover your gas cost. I am and have been an avid fisherman/boater my entire life and am fully functional on the water. Just PM me if you can help me out on this. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2024, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Grady White Fisherman 216, anyone own one?

Had a Hadro sport 21 ft center and it was a sweet machine... T top and a porto
pota.

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 08-31-2024, 08:19 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks DClark. I have a done quite a bit of thinking/research on the GW Fisherman 216 and have come to the conclusion that it will meet my needs...but before I commit I need to see how it handles on the water. Have a great weekend!
Old 09-05-2024, 10:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've had bigger Gradys so not much transportable experience, Solid boats. Great seakeeping design. Heavy so not real fast.

WITHOUT A DOUBT test drive with friends. Get weight up in passengers like you'd normally have.

They also game the system and put very little fuel in so the boat is abnormally lighter. Ask fuel amount and check quasi accurate gauge.

What OB you getting? Don't go cheap. You'll regret getting less.

Also have bill of sale separate motor price from boat. Since DMV charges registration based on boat $. Not motor.

Hope that helps?
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-07-2024, 03:40 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Capt. D, I appreciate your suggestions. Regarding the motor, the 216 comes with either the 200 or 250 yamaha. I guess that it's fuel economy vs. sufficient power? Some of my dockmates have suggested that I'd be better with the 23' GW rather than the 21' for those return trips rounding Sandy Hook.
Old 09-07-2024, 04:27 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
Thanks Capt. D, I appreciate your suggestions. Regarding the motor, the 216 comes with either the 200 or 250 yamaha. I guess that it's fuel economy vs. sufficient power? Some of my dockmates have suggested that I'd be better with the 23' GW rather than the 21' for those return trips rounding Sandy Hook.
Good advice there and as far a power the more the merrier. Marginal power will get you by most days but when you are running in sloppy conditions you’ll appreciate the extra power. It does a few things it helps you power over the back of waves without having to mess with the throttle as much and can also help you stay on plane at lower rpm’s and speed. You want at least 75% of the max rated horsepower for the hull and 100% would be better. And in many cases, especially in and underpowered boat, you’ll get better MPGs with a more powerful engine.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-10-2024, 07:44 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Gerry! I really appreciate your insight/experience! I am more a fisherman than a boater so your post is a real help to me. Thanks much!