NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Upwelling ? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 08-02-2024, 03:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Upwelling ?

I FOUND THIS : As a surfer for almost 40 years on the Jersey shore, I have never experienced this level of upwelling. Yes there has always been upwelling in early summer but nothing like this. The equation has been reversed, with short shots of warm water but cold generally.
So we will probably have to get used to it, Why? Because the warming of the oceans create more heat, more heat causes an extra strong, mostly permanent Bermuda high during the summer. The Bermuda high funnels south winds directly at our coast. This is also responsible for the horrendous heat and humidity that we are now experiencing this summer inland.
But some good news for people who don't go in the water, the immediate shoreline will be a respite from the heat inland, making the immediate shoreline comfortable. Bad news for fisherman though, summer species don't like cold water and will bypass the central and southern Jersey beaches.
The extreme north Jersey coast will be mostly spared, as will eastern Long Island and New England. But the southern 3/4 of the Jersey shore is in the bullseye of the Bermuda High fetch.
Sorry.
One note. There might be a tropical system off the coast next week with possible NE winds hopefully bringing in warmer water from offshore, but hopefully no major problems. The models keep it mostly off shore of the Jersey coastline, but we could still experience east winds.

Also read families have had it with the Jersey shore, kids sitting on the beach, can't even go in the bone chilling water, they all said it's North Carolina next year !!!
Old 08-03-2024, 05:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Upwelling ?

Is he trying to say the prevailing SSE wind at the Jersey shore is a Global Warming thing?🤣😂😅🤣Ive been at the Jersey shore a lot longer than him and years ago it’s been hotter and the water colder.
Old 08-03-2024, 07:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Normally, in my observation, the South wind blows in cold water, and the bite turns off on the reef. Yesterday the wind at 15-20 with lifted sea was warm, and the bite was on. Fluke were chewing. Go figure.......
Returning through the inlet at low tide was upwelled, but not as bad as some mid outgoing tides.
Old 08-03-2024, 07:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yeah, heard these theories.. global warming will usher in a new ice age, due to it shutting down the North Atlantic Current.. something like that.
I'm not a scientist, but personally, meh i don't buy the "extreme heat brings extreme cold" theories.... bob
Old 08-05-2024, 09:03 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I agree with the theory. The past few winters seem to have been sooo windy. I have never seen this many live tree branches ripped off my pine trees. Not saying "The Day after tomorrow" is happening, but things are changing.