NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Full moon - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 07-20-2024, 06:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Full moon

Tomorrow is the full moon. Should be a massive wave of fluke flooding our waters. Even with the south wind and colder water, if fishing doesn't pick up this upcoming week I'd be very concerned about the remainder of the season and what might be happening to this fishery. These fish have followed this migration pattern for a hundred years, we don't see a sharp increase in keepers over the next few weeks I'd be very concerned. Hope guys in the tournament today experienced better results
Old 07-20-2024, 08:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Full moon

Start being concerned Bill
Old 07-21-2024, 11:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The fishery is in the toilet. Half-day Sea Robin trips. Fish all day to catch next to nothing but small sea robins.Years ago you caught 200 fish a day in the bay.
Old 07-21-2024, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togfather2530 View Post
The fishery is in the toilet. Half-day Sea Robin trips. Fish all day to catch next to nothing but small sea robins. Years ago you caught 200 fish a day in the bay.
Since 2008 for NJ, NY, Ct and RI, the size minimums other than a few years for a few states have exceeded 18" with NY having the highest size minimums on record in 2009 and 2010 at 21" and RI having the same in 2009. Commercial sector the entire time was targeting larger breeders while killing massive amounts of juvenile fish, the future of the stock. Most don't believe me when I say it but I'd bet, and there's data which has passed peer review to support this statement, commercial dead discard exceeds harvest levels meaning if they harvest 10,000,000 lbs. they kill and discard 10,000,000 lbs. of younger less valuable age group fish in the process. And if you do the math since commercial receives a higher quota than recreational, approximately 75% of the fish killed annually through harvest and discard mortality combined comes from the commercial sector and maybe 25% from the recreational sector. And that's before consideration for the amount of illicit netting which occurs in the commercial sector or the amount of illegal harvest taking place in the recreational sector. Does anyone honestly believe the commercial sector is going to take a 30% quota reduction this year and not attempt to compensate for those lower quotas by harvesting larger higher valued older age class fish to maximize catch values and toss back everything else dead. It's their livelihood, most would do the same to put food on the table, make a living and stay in business.

Management and regulations are supposed to manage the fishery so the fishery is sustainable while a balance exists to accommodate the users of the resource. That's not happening and hasn't been for some time. You simply can't continue killing off the breeding population, killing younger age classes in the process, pounding the stock during the spawn and expect any other results than what we're seeing. Not trying to be overly dramatic but it doesn't take a genius to realize regulations over the last decade and a half have caught up with this fishery and are killing it while the people and bodies responsible for those decisions sit by defending their failed policies.

Policies need to change and in the absence of that happening more of the same will be what we experience going forward. NMFS and the regulatory agencies and states did exactly the same thing with stripers and you can see where that fishery ended leading to the unfortunate regulations we have today. Fluke is headed in the same direction for the same reasons.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 07-21-2024 at 12:15 PM..
Old 07-21-2024, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

BILL: your passion and insight are invaluable. Onetime poster here and friend to many is Tom Smith, dakota560. Tom devoted many hours and years pointing out the Ludacrisy of the regs, monitoring, comm vs rec disparity, etc. You can climb down one of his rabbit holes here: https://www.njfishing.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Dakota

Battling City Hall on the state and fed levels is futile, but educating your peers is a good side effect but unfortunately small consolation
Old 07-21-2024, 03:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've said this on here several years ago: No matter what logical arguments we, the recreational fishers, put forth, nothing is going to change for the better for the recs., only the commercials will benefit!
I looked up "NMFS origin" again; it takes you to Wikipedia and in the opening paragraph, it states, among other intentions of NMFS, which was federally formed in 1871 as the "Commission of Fish and Fisheries", "...prevent lost economic potential...". That was 150 years ago...you honestly think it has changed? That was over concerns about decreased commercial fish catches
in New England...
NMFS, now incorporated into NOAA is still the same, damn the recs, full speed ahead for the comms.
I work in a Giant Food Market here in Pa. (in Jersey, we're Stop 'n Shop) and I look at the "country of origin" of fish; rarely do I see USA, it's always Maylasia, Viet Nam or some other foreign nation. Even the "tailpipe tuna" yellowfin tuna medallions come from some country whose product I'd never consume--only buy 2 lb. farm-raised frozen shrimp. We never have Gulf -caught shrimp; Hell, we hardly ever have American caught denizens of the deep--or shallows, for that matter...

Enough said---waiting for Gambler tuna to start...
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 07-21-2024, 05:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Question Re: Full moon

If it doesn't pick up soon a couple of more party boats amongst AH, Belmar and PP will be up for sale. Folks want to take dinner home!
Old 07-21-2024, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Plenty of fluke off the coast of Cape Cod. Recently caught a limit is 20+ inch fish in less than an hour. The stock is real healthy up that way
Old 07-21-2024, 10:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobigblue View Post
Plenty of fluke off the coast of Cape Cod. Recently caught a limit is 20+ inch fish in less than an hour. The stock is real healthy up that way
Gobigblue,

And I'm sure Massachusetts has had the same trend of south winds that New Jersey has had and probably even colder inshore water. Makes one wonder then about the overall health of the stock locally and cold water theories as to why the fishing has been way off this year. Check out the following link for the 2024 commercial summer flounder quotas by state.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/speci...der/commercial

NJ and NY alone have over 2.1 million lbs. Add NC and Virginia which harvest most of their quotas off our coast in the winter months and add another 4.3 million lbs. Collectively from those four states alone that's 6.4 million lbs or almost 73% of the commercial harvest from NY / NJ waters. Add in another 1.6 million lbs for CT and RI quotas being harvested from the SNE/MA biomass and 90% of commercial quotas are being harvested from the last remaining concentration of the stock in waters off our coast. To put these numbers in perspective, the commercial harvest quota went from 15.3 million lbs. for each year 2022 / 2023 to 8.79 million lbs. in 2024. If that's the haircut commercials took you know this stock is in dire trouble. 2022 / 2023 commercial quotas by state for comparison sake for anyone who doubts these numbers.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/bulle...black-sea-bass

Massachusettes has a 2024 quota of approximately 600,000 lbs or 1/10th what commercials from the four states mentioned are taking locally off NJ / NY. Now double those numbers for discard mortality and it's no wonder Massachusett's fishery from a relative stand point is in better shape. But it won't be for long as NC and VA boats push further north to fill their quotas each and every year as they deplete the southern most edge of the remaining biomass as they did with the Chesapeake biomass.

Take note of New Hampshire's quota, 40 lbs. Apparently that's not a typo. If management doesn't start managing this stock for the long term sustainability of the fishery, it won't be long before that's every state's annual quota.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 07-22-2024 at 07:45 AM..
Old 07-22-2024, 08:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartattack View Post
BILL: your passion and insight are invaluable. Onetime poster here and friend to many is Tom Smith, dakota560. Tom devoted many hours and years pointing out the Ludacrisy of the regs, monitoring, comm vs rec disparity, etc. You can climb down one of his rabbit holes here: https://www.njfishing.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Dakota

Battling City Hall on the state and fed levels is futile, but educating your peers is a good side effect but unfortunately small consolation
Dakota560 and Broad Bill are one in the same no?

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995