NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hybrid Bass/Walleye Summer Kayak fishing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-26-2024, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Hybrid Bass/Walleye Summer Kayak fishing

I just got my mount for my gamin striker 4 for my kayak, and I really want to use it. I would love to target hybrid stripers and or walleye, but I've got no clue what I'm doing. I know the lakes they're in and that's about it. Any lures, depths, structure, water temp I should be looking for. Also, time of day. If I'm not mistaken, they are most active at like dusk well into night time, and then until dawn. I got a headlamp, but would anyonr have recommendations for nighttime kayaking. Like I said, got no clue what I'm doing, and although I know what to look for in a fish finder, I've never really used one before, so any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2024, 09:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Hybrid Bass/Walleye Summer Kayak fishing

Kayaking at night can be hazardous to your health on the big bodies of water with drunk/unattentive boaters. 2 people got run over a few years back on LH fortunately they survived. Even with lights on your yak it can be tough to see you with all the house lights around the lakes. I would stick with SR.

At this time of year it is a hybrid game. Target edges. Top water and shallow running baits after dark.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Hybrid Bass/Walleye Summer Kayak fishing

On LH the same holds true for boaters. The accident I believe Duane's talking about involved two drunk kayakers, one male one female, neither had navigation lights or lights of any kind, no audible device horn or otherwise out late at night in the middle of the lake and a small aluminum boat ran them over. The owner of the boat that hit them got sued for exceeding the maximum night time speed which I believe is or was 10 mph. If either were killed, the owner would've been facing involuntary manslaughter charges. LH is an accident waiting to happen at night, too many young kids driving Daddy's boat trying to impress the girls, to many drunk adults who can't navigate a boat during the day sober much less at night and just way too much boat traffic and over sized boats. Even with all the required safety equipment, it's a risk fishing the big lake after the sun goes down.

Take Duane's advice and hit SR, you won't have to worry about having your Will and life insurance up to date.

As far as fishing, do just as Duane mentioned and listen for the splashes of feeding schools.