NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Passaic River

The spot I fish on the Passaic was the best I've seen it in a looong time. The water was down and although the banks were still pretty muddy, it was very fishable. I started tossing a BIG perch-colored husky jerk and at first didn't have any love. After snagging that one and busting the lip off getting it out, I switched to a shad color of the same bait. A short while later, I had what was easily a 35-inch pike sniff the bait all the way to the shore without opening its mouth. I took a few more casts, but it didn't show it's face again. A bit later, I hung that lure in a tree. Not wanting to lose any more of my good stuff, I tied on a small saltwater mackerel colored X-Rap. I fished another half-hour and was just about to leave when I felt a small tap as I was reeling. I figured it was just another snag and didn't pull so I could let the bait float out of it. However, as I was waiting I felt a huge headshake that shook my rod. I pulled back but it was too late. After sitting there stunned for second, I realized a fish must have had my lure in its mouth, figured out it wasn't food and shook it free as I was sitting there NOT setting the hook. I would have loved to have had some bait, or more importantly some more time, but I had to head home to write. I fished a total of an hour and a half. I think I would have eventually scored a pike if I kept at it. River was stained, but it always is and I've caught plenty of pike out of the chocolate milk. Water level was fantastic. I'll be back soon.