NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trolling RV question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-01-2014, 08:10 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Trolling RV question

I am pretty new to fishing Round Valley, had a quick question about trolling with planer boards.
How far out behind the boat do you put the lure? also how far from the boat should your planer board be when fishing in 10-20ft water?

thank you in advance for your suggestions
Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Trolling RV question

What kind of line are you using to troll with? (lead core, flat line, etc.). As for how far your planers are from the boat, there's not really any "perfect" amount. But if you're targeting Rainbow and Brown Trout, usually the farther away the better.
Round Valley Trout Association Member
Behre Bait & Tackle
Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

sorry i forgot to mention, yes i will be trolling with leadcore.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Mast height determines how far u can comfortably deploy ur boards. Like was mentioned trout the further out the better especially in clear worked water.
depth ur fishing is simply regulated by trolling line or method being used.
to br successfull u have to manage this depth with fairly accurate lure positioing in strike zones especially this time of yesr when Lk turnover can occur.
Winter / spring u can high line ur lures or fish at moderate depths prior to thermo forming , once this happens its good to know which temp range appeals to fis ur after. Valley is fully oxygenated so temps become important to overall consisitent catches.
Choppy days troll speed must be adjusted to compensate to keep lure action at optimumn.
I like to run specific lures at different positions behind the boards ,always inside stackers r shoetrr to mange ur turns without hassles.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

theres alot more to it then how far back. Capt lou is referring to great lakes type planers that use a mast system, thats not what you have Im guessing, you are using inline boards. Hes absolutely right as far as temp and depths, the trout like a certain water temp and will stray from that when chasing bait, otherwise they hang in comfort zones. Temp probes shine here as do downriggers to target those zones, not sure on water temps now but Id run a staggered depth pattern and adjust to any fish you catch or where u mark them........Anyway to answer your question, with leadcore there is a thousand different setups, some guys use 3 colors with backing and a leader, some fill the reel with full colors, some use full roll split on 2 reels. If you are fishing in 10-20 ft of water you are gonna have issues getting hung up on RV, the depths change quickly, Im gonna guess you mean 10-20 feet down in whatever depth of water. Leadcore is very speed dependant, but as a standard w a spoon trolling at 1.5mph GPS speed one length of color (30ft) will get you down 5-6 feet in depth. U want to run a floro leader to your lure and let out one color for every 5 feet down u wanna go. Trolling for trout usually means changing speeds so if you bump up to 2.0mph it changes to 4-5ft for every color, and at 1mph its about 6-7 ft down. This is w 18lb leadcore, the suffix 832 is a lil deeper and the heavier leadcore is a little less cause altho heavier it has more resistance to the water. Search on google for precision trolling or leadcore dive charts and look on the images tabs. Print that out and take it with you. Make sure u use the appropriate knot to attach ur leadcore thats the first rookie mistake many ppl make with it. And remember if using a crank or diving bait that doesnt account for the lures depth. Basically what Im saying is if you ran 100 ft of line out with a rapala F-11 and pinned it to the downrigger ball 100 ft down ur lure is actually at 107 cause the lure will dive 7ft on its own, it doesnt matter what system u get it down with (leadcore, snapweights, downrigger) it will still dive like it does at surface, this goes with ALL lures

Last edited by jimmythegreek; 10-02-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Old 10-02-2014, 01:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
theres alot more to it then how far back. Capt lou is referring to great lakes type planers that use a mast system, thats not what you have Im guessing, you are using inline boards. Hes absolutely right as far as temp and depths, the trout like a certain water temp and will stray from that when chasing bait, otherwise they hang in comfort zones. Temp probes shine here as do downriggers to target those zones, not sure on water temps now but Id run a staggered depth pattern and adjust to any fish you catch or where u mark them........Anyway to answer your question, with leadcore there is a thousand different setups, some guys use 3 colors with backing and a leader, some fill the reel with full colors, some use full roll split on 2 reels. If you are fishing in 10-20 ft of water you are gonna have issues getting hung up on RV, the depths change quickly, Im gonna guess you mean 10-20 feet down in whatever depth of water. Leadcore is very speed dependant, but as a standard w a spoon trolling at 1.5mph GPS speed one length of color (30ft) will get you down 5-6 feet in depth. U want to run a floro leader to your lure and let out one color for every 5 feet down u wanna go. Trolling for trout usually means changing speeds so if you bump up to 2.0mph it changes to 4-5ft for every color, and at 1mph its about 6-7 ft down. This is w 18lb leadcore, the suffix 832 is a lil deeper and the heavier leadcore is a little less cause altho heavier it has more resistance to the water. Search on google for precision trolling or leadcore dive charts and look on the images tabs. Print that out and take it with you. Make sure u use the appropriate knot to attach ur leadcore thats the first rookie mistake many ppl make with it. And remember if using a crank or diving bait that doesnt account for the lures depth. Basically what Im saying is if you ran 100 ft of line out with a rapala F-11 and pinned it to the downrigger ball 100 ft down ur lure is actually at 107 cause the lure will dive 7ft on its own, it doesnt matter what system u get it down with (leadcore, snapweights, downrigger) it will still dive like it does at surface, this goes with ALL lures
thank you for the advice. yes i am running inline boards with 18in leadcore with a 60 foot fluoro leader. i have noticed on the sonar that a lot of fish hang out 10-20 ft from the surface so i guess i will try that depth first.

in terms of getting the lure to a certain depth with leadcore colors, i understand how that works. my main question is i guess how long of a fluoro leader would i need to attach to the leadcore. the longer the leader, the further behind the boat my bait will be. (hence my question regarding how far out behind the board the leader + leadcore will be).

I guess i should have asked how long should the fluoro leader be. of course the depth of the lure will depend on how long the leadcore is out. My question is how far the whole set up should be behind the boat in order not to spook the fish.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The leaders on LC in my expierance @ the valley & every lake in between has been about 6 to 10' depending on lure ,too long & lure will wander out of strike zone. The real key is to use light leaders on softer taper rods ! ASlso on the LC dark color to leader !
The lures will not wander if that ld is kept shorter & u'll know where u R which is most importsnt!
I would say those 20' readings ur gettrig R not trout takr temp if abov mid sixties than probably school fish perch or other.
The LC u realy dont require PB's just out rodders ,good ones to seperate lines!
Jimme couls probably fill u in on the type that would fit ur bost ! Used to use Downeast clamps on's ! Probaby other more effivcent styles for small boats today