NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

30 mins at the Ramapo - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 30 mins at the Ramapo

I stopped to take a few casts after work friday afternoon. Never fished this river b4, didnt know where to go. I was in Franklin lakes near skyline dr. Saw a few guys fishing under the bridge. No one catching. I went a little downstream of the bridge, there was a deeper run. After 5 casts i got hit on the old reliable powerbait and landed a 14" bow. Missed one other hit. Fish released. I was NOT impressed with this river, water quality doesnt seem very good. Not much structure. Reminds me of the whippany below speedwell lake, but smells a little better.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: 30 mins at the Ramapo

14" Rainbow isn't a bad fish at all. Keep us posted on your findings as I live far from there, always like to hear about different spots.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 30 mins at the Ramapo

You were at the kinda worst area of the river to fish as far as structure and depth. You should follow the river north on 202. There's 2 parks up 202 where you can park, as well as streets/parking lots. Right by the Ramapo College, Halifax Rd., that's the sweet spot...there's a parking area back in there with lots of access. I was there earlier this year trying for bass and noticed it was a really nice stretch of river for trout (which I don't fish for anymore). But that whole area around there seemed very nice; deeper pools, wide and narrow sections with current and structure, paths along the river and a walkable shoreline with waders. I saw tons of crawfish, turtles and a few smaller trout in the current... this was in July. Very nice stretch for fishing tho.

Last edited by 420*NightCrawler; 10-05-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The water in the Ramapo is incredibly low. The fish are stuck where they were stocked. It's a shame they can't spread out. All of you guys who say wait until November to fish are going to be surprised by the lack of fish.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Agreed, lower then most years.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 AM
iceehot6766

As far as the Ramapo goes, where you were is good if you know the holes....above the trestle there are some good holding spots, just look for deep pockets and the trout are there........I grew up in Oakland and spent 20 years fishing the Ramapo from Mason Jar restaurant near Rt. 17 in Mahwah all the way down to Pompton falls(Hamburger turnpike)...I pretty much know every rock in that place.......If you have waders, I'd suggest Glen Gray Rd. off Ramapo Valley and work your way up and downstream from there.....there is parking right after the bridge....upstream around the 1st bend is a deeper hole that has always produced sizable fish for me im the past, both trout and bass........there are smallmouth bass in the river.....Another good spot is off Ramapo Valley Rd ...You turn down Lakeshore Rd in Oakland(mapquest it) go down the hill, bear to the right and follow about a mile or so to the very end(it's a dead end)...park there and explore the river......I recommend going downstream from where the lake flows into the river.......That stretch is a decent area also......and finally the area between Potash Lake(off 202) and the old Pleasureland area is EXCELLENT when the river is at a good level......also right next to Potash the river runs and there are alot of big trout in that stretch under the trestle bridge.........as a kid I used to get 3, 4 and even 5 pound Rainbows every year but that was over 25 years ago and I really don't even fish for trout anymore, maybe once or twice a year only.....Any questions just ask and i'll try to help if i can......I also know the Wanaque,Pequannock and Pompton very well because of growing up right there and fishing it for so long...Once in a while, I'll hit my secret spots also .......FISH ON!!!!

Last edited by iceehot6766; 10-09-2013 at 05:03 AM..