NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bluefish insane this year in comparison to other years why? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 09-27-2024, 04:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Bluefish insane this year in comparison to other years why?

Title says it all but if I am correct older posts had blues virtually gone as early as last year. What changed?
Old 09-27-2024, 05:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Bluefish insane this year in comparison to other years why?

November used to be lights out for monster bluefish, below them were all the striped bass.
Old 09-27-2024, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Bluefish insane this year in comparison to other years why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
November used to be lights out for monster bluefish, below them were all the striped bass.
Coming to a theater near you! Although our Oct trip last year was ALL Stripers 30+Lbs close to home
Old 09-27-2024, 08:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I dunno... Yeah some pretty good reports lately I guess, but years ago, we didn't even need to go on a headboat for blues.. We caught them from April to November right off the beach in Raritan bay, all day every day.. Same in the rivers, off the surf and jetties as well.. While Fluking in the bay or along the beach from May into October they would cause chaos grabbing the rigs as you were drifting, and would pull the rod overboard if you weren't careful. They were everywhere and alwys hungry..Headboats went bluefish chumming EVERY night, not just weekends, and it was nothing to catch 10-15 pounders all night until you just couldn't do it anymore as your arms and back would ache.. They stayed well into November most years too.. yeah, some better reports lately, but no its not like the old days by any means.... bob
Old 09-27-2024, 09:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Title says it all but if I am correct older posts had blues virtually gone as early as last year. What changed?
A couple good spawns and good forage conditions . there were plenty of blue fish midshore in December the last couple years. It's not the old days but it is showing promise. We will see if they will be around with the Stripes in November/December.
Old 09-28-2024, 12:15 PM
NJFishing.com Member

The size of the blues in the pics posted on the reports are what I considered the summer jigging fish back in the 90’s. This time of year was lights out for the big 10-18 pounders. Compared to last year this is a bonanza but nothing compares to the old days. Maybe someday it’ll come back but if the fall bass run is 1/3 of last year I don’t think anyone’s going to complain. I mean beating your personal best striper every trip for 2 months was pretty sweet!
Old 09-28-2024, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

. You guys also must remember-The "good old days" of Bluefish were the days when a single striper caught would make all the local fishing reports.. However, the Blues and abundant Weaks made up for it.. now that Stripers are back Weaks are more or less MIA during the fall... Years ago, it was Weakfish under the rampaging Bluefish in fall.. now its Stripers... bob
Old 09-28-2024, 05:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

When I was a kid, used to do the Magic Hour trips on the Fisherman for Blues and Weaks. Tiger Tailing the channels for the Tide Runners. Miss those days!
Old 09-28-2024, 06:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Unhappy Re: Bluefish insane this year in comparison to other years why?

It was a shame to see full burlap bags of 12 lb bluefish left behind after all the fares departed the boat.
Old 09-28-2024, 06:30 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls1976 View Post
When I was a kid, used to do the Magic Hour trips on the Fisherman for Blues and Weaks. Tiger Tailing the channels for the Tide Runners. Miss those days!
Dam, you're showing your age...that was early 80's, seems like yesterday!

www.captainronsfishermen.com