NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Upper Delaware Report! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-24-2024, 01:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Upper Delaware Report!

First freshwater report!

I spend a long weekend in Narrowsburg NY at a great cabin along the ten mile river, and a short drive to the Delaware. I did some research and several folks on the board gsve some inputs!

For the fishing..

My plan was to fish mostly for trout, but I quickly learned that was going to be a very tough task for the area I was fishing. In the creek I was staying on, I spotted a number of trout in holes but would spook them so quickly. Made things very frustrating! Decided to split up my time on the big river and in the creek over the last three days.

In the river I was able to pull 2 trout out over about 4 hours of total
Effort. All trout came on a #2 gold mepps spinner.

The Delaware is where I had my fun. I fished a number of local areas, and it was so cool wading out in the water. It can be a little sketchy at times and reminded me of fishing some of the Monmouth county jetties. Thank god I bought some good water shoes that could grip a bit of the rocks. I still fell a few times.

Anyways the fishing! I fished hard and through an assortment of lures, small 3”-4” jerk shads on a 1/16oz jig head caught me the larger fish. Several smallies were pushing 16”! I also caught a 18” walleye in the middle of the day, when it was pushing 100 degrees out. First one I ever caught, and man are they fun to catch!

I through on a bigger 4.5” swim bait and crawler it back through some rapid water and hooked into an estimated 10lb catfish that broke my line at my feet.

I had a great time wading some waist deep water and catching dozens of cookie cutter 8”-12” smallies on trout spinners. I also caught several chubs, xl sunfish, and an American Shad that ate a phoebes spoon. I saw a ton of shad but they looked like they were on their way out (dying).

All in all awesome trip, booking another stay in July !
Old 06-24-2024, 05:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Upper Delaware Report!

Great report man. The Delaware is an absolute gem and all around beautiful place to visit. Smallie action is nuts on the river now through late Fall. Glad you enjoyed a slice of the sweet water. YEA BUDDY!
Old 06-24-2024, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Upper Delaware Report!

nice report, that river has endless opportunities! Cool figuring out where the trout were at least. Stocked ones or some wild ones? It's tough especially with low and hot water...
Old 06-24-2024, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sounds like a good trip, best part is I'm sure you learned a lot about the area. Thanks for sharing

Dave
Old 06-24-2024, 10:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

One of the most scenic rivers in the country with some of the best and most challenging fisheries there are. Fortunate to have her in our back yard.