NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Farrington Lake pickerel - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-25-2014, 01:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Farrington Lake pickerel

Another night at Farrington Lake:

So as I have noticed everyone seems to have love/ hate relationship with the Lake. Been fishing on and off there since 95 looking like everyone else for those monster pikes that everyone seems to be talking about but no one seems to be able to pull them out. Fished yesterday from 7pm till 930pm from shore around St Johns (which not St Johns anymore) area. Water dropped a lot from the start of the summer and by a lot I do mean a lot. Submerged old bridge (or what remains) is completely visible now and lost something when fish took the bait and darted into that pile on.

Caught couple of crappies, sunny, catfish and this little beauty of a pickerel. Length 25 inches with a weight of 3.5 lbs.

Was using nightcrawlers and it took of with it when I was jigging the worm a bit.

Everything but the pickerel was released. Even though I do practice catch and release I was in the mood for some pickerel steaks and it didn't disappoint.

My first post here so no longer lurking around.

Yours truly,

Andre

"Bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work"

Last edited by Andrushkin33; 09-25-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Farrington Lake pickerel

I took the yak to farrington last sunday morning but only got a couple hours in since my son was sick and my wife called me home much earlier than expected

caught one measly largemouth on a spinnerbait. lately its been much more hate than love at that lake for me
Old 09-25-2014, 03:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Farrington Lake pickerel

Welcome to the site Andre !! Keep the pics and reports coming in, we love it !!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Welcome to the site! That's a nice sized Pickerel!

If you are trying to find Pike, you can't go wrong with a big shiner/chub/sunnie on a slip bobber. I caught the same Pike twice in 15 minutes last summer on a big live Creek Chub, they just can't resist.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 09-25-2014, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks Andy.

Will be hitting up lakes around Delaware river this weekend so more reports and pics will be coming up.

Phil,

To be honest never had luck there in a morning. Don't know why just never happened to me. Most of the times I wish from shore though I have not been on that lake in a boat in ages. Last time I was there all we did is pull under the Riva bridge and mess with peoples lines ....ahhh youth and memories.

Did pretty well there throughout the summer now a bit disappointed no trout will be stocked in October but what can you do.

Andre

"Bad day of fishing is still better than good day at work"
Old 09-25-2014, 03:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
Welcome to the site! That's a nice sized Pickerel!

If you are trying to find Pike, you can't go wrong with a big shiner/chub/sunnie on a slip bobber. I caught the same Pike twice in 15 minutes last summer on a big live Creek Chub, they just can't resist.
Thank you

I know but I was too lazy to drive to Effingers for shiners considering its the only spot around to get them. Could of used a sunny I got but decided against and let him go.

But ill get that pike its not going to elude me for long. Just a bit of patience on my part is required ...

Tight lines.

"Bad day of fishing is stil better than good day at work"
Old 09-25-2014, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Welcome to the site. Farrington is the slowest pike lake I've ever fished. I've put in a few hundred hours there and I've only caught 3 or 4, but I did get a really nice one. Try big baits 8-16", good luck!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Let the pickerel go, eat the other stuff!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:18 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Nice pickerel. I've fished there a lot myself in the last two years since it's the closest lake to me. I've caught some nice bass and a couple nice pickerel the but have yet to pull in the pike I've been looking for out of that lake. The water is very low. Lower than I've seen it in the two years I've been going there.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmatt View Post
Welcome to the site. Farrington is the slowest pike lake I've ever fished. I've put in a few hundred hours there and I've only caught 3 or 4, but I did get a really nice one. Try big baits 8-16", good luck!
Thank you Matt.

I know big bait would work better but for some reasons me and boats do not mix. And I would have a better luck getting that pike with trolling but I pretty much stay around the shore lines.

"Bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work"