NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

SR round 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default SR round 2

Hit spruce around 6 am. Second strike on the hybrids, hopefully I won't get a third strike. Missed one smallmouth jigging by the rocks and cousin missed one too jumped up and spit the hook. Very windy on the lake, made it seem like I was fishing in the bay today getting wet. The great thing was a bald eagle was flying only about 100 ft from the boat which was a great sight to see. I have to try again but a bad day fishing is still better then doing nothing.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: SR round 2

Don't feel TOO BAD I was there today also and had the SPRUCE GOOSE too!
Been a long time but it does happen. Very adverse conditions today starting with the cold front again and the wind cranking all day didn't help either.
First time in a long while I wasn't on the water early figured i'd take my time and wait for the sun to come up and got on the water about 10:30. Marked a decent amount of fish but couldn't get em' to bite! Fished till about 8:30 hoping for something to happen but it never did. So can't really call today strike 2 just look at it as a recon mission on the water! lol. A little disappointed but not too much cause I knew the cards were stacked against me today and still undecided about tomorrow cause it looks like it's gonna be the same conditions. Great to see you hit it again just gotta keep at it.
Your determination will lead to your success!!!!

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 09-15-2013, 02:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Exactly I will keep going there. It looks like a great reservoir just it will take some time. Same with lake hopatcong never been there but can't wait to try it out. That's why they call it fishing and not catching! One day we will get up there again.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I was at Spruce Run on Saturday evening, too.

I was a bit dismayed at the water-level being lowered again.

Something happened around 5pm and emergency search-and-rescue teams launched at the main boat ramp and the private boat ramp by the water company's property (by the rock jetty) simultaneously. Both teams took off for the area by the picnic grounds. They returned about 15 minutes later, loaded their boats onto their trailers and left. I guess it was a false alarm?

I was very impressed by the search-and-rescue teams speed. From the time the truck backed up to the ramp to the time they were all in the boat and were taking off was less than two minutes. I'm glad those guys are available for us in case of an emergency.

Anyway, the fishing for me was slow, but not too bad. I caught a bunch of small bass (both large and smallmouth) and an 18" channel cat. Filleted and fried up with bacon, that catfish was delicious!

When I was packing my kayak onto my car, one of the Van Sickle Pier regulars was telling me they were all catching pike. Even kids fishing worms-under-bobbers. I guess the cooler weather and lower water levels turned the pike on.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Went back this morning due to the knot in my stomach!!! Got there about eleven and fishing was SLOOOOOW again! Fished several hours before finally getting one. Was happy to break the skunk at least. Was on a school for a while but only had that one fish then the school scattered and that was it for the day.
Hope this weather stabilizes cause these weekend coldfronts SUCK!!!!!!

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

keep at it man, u just got to use ur time on the water wisely. when fishing a new body of water spend some time actually searching for fish w ur sonar. u can even throw some bait in the water or troll while u search and get on some good marks and rly try to use a technique/tactic that u know works for that body of water/fish species ur targeting. they are there but even the best guys sometimes come up empty, we cant make the weather play nice all the time, this was a ruff weekend, worst of the year fishing wise. like Dale said teh weekends have had late week coldfronts and unstable weather lately, I had it tuff too this weekend. came up with some fish but I markes and sat on fish both days w nothing really feeding or if they were they were short striking and dropping bait/lures. its fishing not catching lol, it sucks sometimes