NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Finding Pike or Bass in the Passaic River - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Finding Pike or Bass in the Passaic River

I'm not looking for any exact locations but it would be helpful since I haven't caught a thing yet, but maybe some general info. I'm casting from land, no boat , and wanted to know if I should be casting towards shadowed areas, open areas like mid river, under a bridge, near rocks, near water falls or anything else to help me in my journey. PM me if you'd like.

Would be great if someone would like to meet up in the Bergen County area to maybe show me some tips for the river.

thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Finding Pike or Bass in the Passaic River

depends what your fishing for.. Largemouth, smallmouth or Pike?

Largemouth... look for vegetation and structure with deep pools...

Smallmouth.... look for Rocky bottoms, structure with deep pools...

Pike.... look for inlets with structure, deep pools with structure.. Pike are ambush predators and dont like current so most of the time they will be sitting behind structure that breaks current, or will be sitting in inlets just out of the current waiting for passing by fish...
Old 07-24-2012, 06:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My advice to you would be to go back and read all the Passaic River threads/reports from January on. You will find a PLETHORA of information as to lures, techniques, structure, time of day, and AREAS. I for one have posted some very detailed reports on my catches on the river, including pike, largemouth, smallmouth, perch, carp, crappie and catfish. There are probably 10 guys who consistently do well and regularly post about it here. Their reports may be even more helpful then mine. Good luck.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

one thing i realized reading back as far as last year, all the good catches and locations are by way of kayak...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Finding Pike or Bass in the Passaic River

Hmmmmm, you would have an advantage if you had a kayak of course. A kayak is not mandatory to find these fish. They stock off the bridges in most cases, if you find a bridge youll find PIKE eventually. Passaic river banks are nice and dry right now, you can walk quite a long way along the banks. Start here, passaicriverbasin.com, youll find some access points and parks on this site. TIGHT LINES, GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

One thing I've learned by reading all these posts is that Skunk City could be a kayak guide on the Pasaic River. Because of his posts I've recently purchased a kayak for my own fishing needs.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4fun
one thing i realized reading back as far as last year, all the good catches and locations are by way of kayak...
You do not need a kayak or boat to do well in the Passaic.... I can catch Pike and Bass with my eyes closed..... Its almost too easy for me to catch PIKE and Bass in the Passaic river that I have been looking for other challenges in other bodies of water.... Any area that you can access in the Passaic river that appears to be remote you will 99% be guaranteed to do well.....
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstersigam
One thing I've learned by reading all these posts is that Skunk City could be a kayak guide on the Pasaic River. Because of his posts I've recently purchased a kayak for my own fishing needs.
LOL I wouldn't say I am on THAT level yet, but I do have a good 4 or 5 spots from Bloomfield Ave. to below Dundee Dam to Belleville that are usually free-of-da-skunk. The kayak has helped, but I have a few spots from land that almost ALWAYS produce at least some nice Smallies. Bing maps and Google maps ARE YOUR FRIEND! Lots of paddling without catching fish, internet research, exploring, trespassing, making fishing buddies and definetly a lot of luck lol. These Pike frustrated the crap out of me for a while til I figured them out. They are a challenge, yet a badass fish to catch and land.

Glad I inspired you to pick up a yak though! Got in it for less than $250 and so far still under $400 with my modifications, you can't beat that for all the fish that have ended up flopping around in the bottom of it!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Not true about Kayak, Although you can cover more ground easier etc. I have been hammering Pike from the banks all year if you look at my biggest 45" monster was caught from the bank this year (I was just contacted by the NJ Dept of Fish & Game) they want to use it on their website. Biggest pike caught in many years. I have probably caught over 50 pike this year from the banks and besides the monster 45" ...10 to 15 from 34" to 38". You have to put in the work walking the banks ,then you will find your own special spot it takes time keep trying.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Arrow Re: Finding Pike or Bass in the Passaic River

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...Posted&userID=