NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Swartswood 7/28-7/29 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Swartswood 7/28-7/29

Hey Guys, a little late but I figured I might as well share. Me and a buddy of mine went up to Swartswood the day after the meet and great, rented a canoe and headed straight for the lilly pads at the end of the lake where the "fully wooded" campsites are.

It was around sundown so we were using frogs and MAN the bass were DESTROYING them. Only problem is both of us are not very experienced using frogs so we had trouble setting the hooks !!

Couldn't land any of them but kept getting hits for about 3 straight hours, frustrating to say the least. Anyone have any tips for setting the hooks on the weedless frogs?

Thanks guys !!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Swartswood 7/28-7/29

It's hard to do but you have to wait...wait...wait...reel up any slack then set.....hard! Best is if you feel the fish on the line before you set the hook. I also use braid to eliminate stretch and slice through any weeds that are in the way.

If you set the hook and the fish is not there or the frog pulls lose immediately (not a fight then come unbuttoned type thing) then throw a senko type bait right back to the spot and let it sink....they will hit it more often then you can imagine. A lot of times they just smack the "thing on the surface" then wait for it to sink to them. Sometimes I don't even reel the frog all the way back in before I throw the senko back in there.

Last edited by kcritch; 08-01-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

strike. 1.. 2... 3... set.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I think that's the problem, we got too excited about the strikes we were setting too early. Only problem with the senko is we were fishing HEAVY cover, unless we texas rigged it?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikew36
I think that's the problem, we got too excited about the strikes we were setting too early. Only problem with the senko is we were fishing HEAVY cover, unless we texas rigged it?
Yup t rig it....works great.

Even if it just slightly sinks or sits on top they will hit it. I have found they won't usually hit the frog again though.....better hook up ratio with the senko too.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I got sucked into a 2 for 1 deal on Booyah Frogs at Dick's a few weeks ago. So I've been messing with them a little with some success. The first day i had 2 bass inhale them using my normal straight up hook set. I was throwing one in the pads during the meet-n-greet and had 2 blow up missis. I'm thinking the fish were pickerals though. I was right off the bank in inches of water during high sun. You sure you had bass hitting them or could the have been picks? I think the picky mouth is tougher hook set with the upward facing hook style on a frog.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:44 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I'm 100% sure they were bass, they were jumping full body out of the water when they were hitting these frogs. Good size bass too. my buddy did lose a frog on an attempted set, thing looked huge, could have been a muskee?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sometimes if I don't have a frog I cast a Senko on top of the lily pads and jig it like a frog. Then by a hole you stop and let it sink, bass love it.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeps326
Sometimes if I don't have a frog I cast a Senko on top of the lily pads and jig it like a frog. Then by a hole you stop and let it sink, bass love it.
I do the same thing with a weightless Texas-rigged tube.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Great suggestions guys!!!

thank you !!