NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Snake River Float Trip - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-29-2024, 09:00 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Snake River Float Trip

Did a National Park tour of Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons for me and Ruth's Birthday's. It was spectacular with only 2 regrets, not having done it sooner and wish we had another day in each of the parks just to relax and take it all in. Most days were spent in the car running and gunning to the next must see sight in each park or getting to the other park, we logged 2000 in the rental car.

Decided to spend my Birthday doing a half day float trip in the Tetons on the Snake River and it did not disappoint.

We launched at the Jackson Lake dam and fly fished which was something I hadn't done in several years. By sheer luck we chose 1 of only 3 float companies allowed to fish the National Park waters and that stretch of the river. After some casting lessons and getting to know how to present the flies, we set out on a 4 mile float with the Tetons as a back drop targeting the native Cutthroats and Mountain Whitefish the area is noted for...

The river is crystal clear and varies drastically in depths from 1 to 25 feet so we used both dry and wet flies, dry flies in the shallower rifts and tail waters and wet flies in the deeper holes with indicators. I probably missed 10 or so fish while getting used to fly fishing again but managed to get 3 Cutthroats and one Mountain Whitefish to the net.

Although there weren't any hatches of note going on, there was one particular part of the river that made the day. A huge eddy was formed by a deep cut in the bank and even from a distance you could see a concentration of fish constantly rising. Man that was so cool to see and the anticipation put me up in my seat and my level of excitement over the top.

A few things of note here.... These fishermen and fish and game are super protective about their native Cutthroats and Mountain Whitefish and don't want any other fish in their waters that are not there naturally. For this reason they do not stock, you're not allowed to fish with any live bait and your boat and bilge are inspected before you are allowed to put in. They had stocked in Rainbows and Lake Trout in the past which was thought to be a huge mistake and encouraged you to keep anything that was not native to the river system.

All in all one of my most memorable fishing trips. Not because the fish were huge but because these fish have been here naturally for 1000s of years, I got to meet a few of them personally and the scenery while doing so was beyond compare! Orvis fly fishing set up is on order for next time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	176514   Click image for larger version

Name:	snake2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	176515   Click image for larger version

Name:	snake3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	176516   Click image for larger version

Name:	snake4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	176517  

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-29-2024, 12:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Snake River Float Trip

Gerry good for you and Ruth. There's parts of this country that are a small piece of heaven which most people sadly never have a chance to experience in their lifetimes. Look at the clarity of that water, incredible. It's the beauty and power of the outdoors which lifts our spirits to an entirely different level. So glad you had a chance to experience it. I've heard those cutthroats are some of the most beautiful fish you'll ever catch. Glacier, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, how do you top that! God's Country for sure!

https://www.audleytravel.com/usa/pla...-national-park

Last edited by Broad Bill; 09-29-2024 at 12:15 PM..
Old 09-30-2024, 12:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Snake River Float Trip

Yea buddy! That looks like a beautiful trip. The views and scenery alone are well worth it. Good stuff Cap'n!
Old 09-30-2024, 03:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Snake River Float Trip

Wow, how cool is that !!
Old 10-03-2024, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Great report and jealous! Glad you and Ruth had a good trip. Dont they make those life jackets in a large
Old 10-03-2024, 06:50 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Sounds like an amazing trip. I’ve been to the area, white water rafted the snake river and visited Yellowstone/Tetons. It’s always been a dream to go back on a fishing trip. Awesome!
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Had the Aspens turned? The Tetons are my favorite!

Name:	3913 9 04 Tetons.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	176677

Name:	3913 9 04 Tetons a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	176678

Name:	3913  9 04 Tetons b.jpg