NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Proper VHF Pre-Trip Test Ediquette? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-06-2024, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Proper VHF Pre-Trip Test Ediquette?

New Boater Question* I'm learning all the features and functions on my new VHF handheld marine radio and I'd like to know the right ediquette on how to do a pre trip test to make sure I'm good to go, but not irritate anyone by doing it incorrectly. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2024, 09:44 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Proper VHF Pre-Trip Test Ediquette?

Make a radio call on an open channel, not 16 that’s for emergency use. 68 is popular one here.

Say radio check 3 times and your boats name and location once and await response. Repeat if needed

If you reach someone the typical response will be loud and clear this is boat name and location.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-06-2024, 09:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Please be mindful that the 5 or 6 watt handheld does not have the range or reception gain of a 25watt fixed station radio with the high gain antenna tip 15 feet above the water.

Usually it's only a mile or two range with a handheld.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-06-2024, 10:12 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Debbie View Post
Please be mindful that the 5 or 6 watt handheld does not have the range or reception gain of a 25watt fixed station radio with the high gain antenna tip 15 feet above the water.

Usually it's only a mile or two range with a handheld.
Excellent point. For this reason if you make a distress call on 16 you may be able to reach a nearby boat but not to the coast guard so what you can do is ask them to be your relay.

Also people don’t like others clogging up the open channels like 68 with long personal conversations or idle chit chat so it’s common courtesy to move to another channel to carry on those conversations by saying something like let’s go up (or) down 2 meaning go to 66 or 70 or same a specific channel you want to move the conversation to.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-07-2024, 07:44 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Excellent point. For this reason if you make a distress call on 16 you may be able to reach a nearby boat but not to the coast guard so what you can do is ask them to be your relay.

Also people don’t like others clogging up the open channels like 68 with long personal conversations or idle chit chat so it’s common courtesy to move to another channel to carry on those conversations by saying something like let’s go up (or) down 2 meaning go to 66 or 70 or same a specific channel you want to move the conversation to.
Thank you guys for the info. I appreciate the help. I try my best to be considerate. This is a great place to ask questions and get answers from people with a lot more experience. Thanks again.